Chapter 1

Peanut anxiously stood in a tall, wooden stall lined with a few metal accents next to her mother, "Are we ready to go yet?" The filly complained impatiently to the tall dun mare that stood next to her and watched the other horses in the stall parallel to them. "Be patient, Peanut!" Hazel, her mother, snarled at the small filly. Peanut frowned and looked down at her front hooves, "Sorry..." She murmured, stumbling to the side.
Hazel sighed as she looked at the filly, "It's okay, I understand your impatient, I am as well." Peanut looked up to her mother once more and walked up, "How are we doing this again, mama?" She asked bluntly, forgetting the plan for the billionth time. "Once the two-leggers are leading us out to the fenced-in fields, I'll give the signal to run." Hazel explained, "So I can go back to my old life and keep you by my side." The filly nodded, she still didn't quite get the whole idea nor the full reasoning as to why her mother wanted to escape so bad, so she just spun around before getting dizzy and falling to the ground as a two-legger ambled toward the stall door with a halter and lead.
"Is that the two-legger that's supposed to pick us up?" She whispered to her mother as she struggled to stand on her wobbly little legs. "Maybe." She said, carefully watching him open the door and walk over to them with a halter in his hands. "Follow my lead." The two-legger held up the halter's back side to the tip of Hazel's muzzle, directing it underneath and over the long nose-like structure then pulling it over her ears and resting the loose and gray-toned halter on her poll. The two-legger attached a lead to a small metal circle at the bottom of the halter and lead her out to the pasture with little Peanut scampering behind, trying not to get distracted. "Just stay with me." Hazel muttered to the foal eagerly following by her side. "Yes, mama!" She whispered back.
The two-legger left them inside the green pasture. Before he could lock the gate Hazel shouted out the signal, "Now!" and pushed the gate, causing the human to fall back and leave the gate wide open for her foal to follow after. Heart racing, Peanut went as fast as she could after her mother. Hazel focused straight ahead, though she knew Peanut was with her because of her heavy breathing and playful excited nickers she let out.
After almost 10 minutes of running, Hazel stopped by the ocean with her filly. "Wow mama! That was so fun!" She giggled and rolled over onto the cool sand. "It was, wasn't it?" She nudged her foal and caught her breath as she looked out to the huge ocean. The moon shone on the sparkling settled water. "Peanu-" She turned her head to where Peanut was, only to see  the poor filly was already asleep. "Goodnight, my darling Peanut." She spoke gently to her sleeping filly and settled down next to her.