chapter six

Sometimes I feel like
I can't control myself around you.
Something about you just
makes me go crazy, Eren.

Eren's eyes widened as he read the beginning of the letter that was left in his locker today. He blushed, turning around so Mikasa couldn't read it.

"Eren, let me see!" She exclaimed.

"No!"

"I know your locker combination, so I'm going to read it later whether you let me voluntarily or not."

Eren waved his hand in her face, shooing her away. "Whatever. I don't want you reading it while I'm here. It's too embarrassing."

"Okay." She turned around, but hesitated. "Uh, Sasha and I are together."

Eren scoffed. "Finally."

Mikasa smiled shyly. "Yeah."

"You're sure she knows?"

"She knows. I made sure she gave me a solid answer. I asked her again yesterday."

"Is that why you left just as Armin and I got back to the house?"

"Oh, I didn't know you two had gotten there when I was leaving, but yes. I figured I'd ask her in person again, just to clarify things."

"That's nice. Congrats, Mikasa."

"Thank you, Eren." She turned around and shuffled into class.

Eren cleared his throat, glancing around before he continued to read the letter.

Sometimes I feel like
I shouldn't be around you,
that it might be bad for me
to like you so much
but not be able to do anything about it.
Almost every time we interact
I always end up embarrassing myself.
Although I don't show it,
I get embarrassed easily.

You drive me crazy, Eren,
but not in a bad way.

I think I might be in love with you.

The last sentence sent a chill down Eren's spine. "Love?" He whispered, folding the letter back up and placing it in the envelope.

"Eren!" A voice shouted enthusiastically, startling him. Eren turned to see Armin running towards him. Before he could do anything, Armin crashed into him. To keep the pair from falling to the ground, Eren grabbed onto Armin's arms and pushed his back against the wall. He held onto Armin's full weight as he tried to ensure neither of them would fall, and Armin looked up at him with a grin on his face.

"Um... hey..." Eren chuckled. "Good morning...?"

"Hi!" Armin exclaimed, standing up straight and pulling an envelope from his bag. "Here."

Eren blushed. "What's this...? Are you the--"

"Stop, Eren. Look." He flipped the envelope around to show Eren that it was the letter they'd written for the secret admirer the previous night.

"Oh."

"You seem disappointed." Armin smirked. "Do you want it to be me?"

"What?! No!"

"Ooh, he's getting defensive..." Armin grinned. "I'm just teasing you, Eren."

"I know." Eren shut his locker. "Uh, why'd you want to give me this now? We don't usually see each other until third period."

Armin shrugged. "I don't know. I just wanted to see you."

Eren exhaled, resting his head on the wall behind him. "Okay. Cool."