Out running memories

Start from the beginning

I tie my hair up out of my face, so I can wash.I strip and gingerly sit into the tub. I moan in delight as my muscles relax in the water. I've been traveling for a long time. Outrunning destiny I suppose.

I grab the soap and smile when I smell honeysuckle. I scrub myself clean , untying my hair to clean it. I hear a knock at the door. " yes?" 

I hear a muffled " it's me I came to gather your dirty clothes to be washed. I lean around the partition .

" they are by the door. As soon as they are clean and dried I'd like the back."

The door opens and she quickly gathers them up. " the Witcher asked about you before he left. " I freeze at that. " what did he want to know?"

She hesitates and says " he wanted to know if a woman with long red hair and ocean blue eye was here. At the time I didn't realize what your hair color was so I told him no."

I sigh in relief. " thank you." She goes to leave then asks " why would a Witcher be looking for another Witcher?"

I laugh at that " Because he hates me. He wants us to finish what we started all those years ago. If he returns , Don't tell him I was here."

She leaves taking my dirtied clothes with her.
I sit long after the water turned cold. Contemplating my next step.

I , Rafaela Of Loc Muinne, Rafe to my friends, The Red Wolf , the Witcher Healer, and friend to all , must face down one man who scares me the most. I guess I can't keep running from him. Guess it's time to face .......Geralt of Rivia.

My once best friend, training partner, and at one time the love of my life. No he had no idea of my feelings for him.

Until a few others of our guild found out. I guess they saw my longing looks after we would spar and told everyone at Kaer Morhen. I left before I could face him. That was 20 years ago.

We've come close to crossing paths over the years . But we would miss each other by days, hours , sometimes minutes. I often return to Kaer Morhen to visit and result but never stay for long .

I stepped out of the bath , drying off quickly and dressing. Leaving my hair to dry it's self. I hear a knock at the door . " oh you can just set the clothes on the table by the door."

I say , not paying any attention as I go through my bag looking for my chamomile oil. The door opens and closes. Thinking the lady has gone I start applying the oil to my arms.

" Rafe"

I freeze at the sound of my name being spoken in that raspy , growling way. Then slowly I turn to see Geralt ,standing 10 feet away from me.

I just stare at him , he takes a step towards me. I scramble as far away from him as I can get.

I grab my sword and sneer at him. " Get out." He gets that stubborn look I remember so well.

"No. Not until you explain to me why you've not been seen or heard from in Kaer Morhen in 20 years." 

I grit my teeth at him demanding an explanation.
" I don't owe you or any other Witcher an explanation."

I see anger in his eyes. Then before I know it I'm pressed against the wall with him overpowering me. I fight him with everything I've got .

He slams my hands above my head. " you owe me an explanation alright. We needed our healer, but you disappeared. We thought you hurt or worse dead!"

I glare at him remaining silent. He stares me down until I realize he will wait me out. He always did.
" I came and resupplied when I needed to. Vesemir knew I did.  Thought he had told you. "

his grip loosens and he steps back . " he never said . Why did you leave?" I move past him , gathering my things.

" Rafaela."

I freeze when he calls me by my full name. Then move quickly pulling on my armor doing it up.

" your not leaving here without telling me why you left. "

I grab my cloak , clasping it in place. Moving towards the door, before he can stop me. I run down the steps , hearing him run after me. I make it to the stables grabbing Damon.

Quickly saddling him up.
" You think you can out run me?" He comes up behind me and boxes me in.
" I've done a good job so far." I whisper.

" Rafe, just tell me why?"

I lean my forehead against the saddle and say " I had feelings for someone at Kaer Morhen. Some of the others found out and teased me. Saying they would tell him. I was in a constant state of fear and anxiousness. I couldn't concentrate , I So I left. I've returned when I knew you all wouldn't be there , except Vesemir."

" hmm."

I try to duck under his arm , but he stops me.I look down at my shoes and wait for him to ask who I had feelings for.

" who was it Rafe?"

I squeeze my eyes shut." It doesn't matter. Not anymore ."

I move around him and tie my bag to the saddle horn .

" it was good seeing you Geralt. I'll try to visit Kaer Morhenn more often. I ....."

he spins me around . " WHO. WAS.IT." He growls down at me. I look at him knowing he's asking who I had feelings for.

So I do the only thing that comes to mind  . I boldly grab his face and pull him down to me . I kiss him with everything that I have, pouring all my feelings into that kiss.

He doesn't respond so I break the kiss,  mount Damon and take off before he even realizes what's happened. I look back to see shock on his face.

He had no idea of what I felt for him. Just goes to show Witchers are extraordinary monster hunters but when it comes to personal feelings well they just don't handle them well. I head towards Cintra letting the tears fall.