07 | australian grand prix pt. ii

Start from the beginning

        Following suit, Idris carves through the crowd and up the stage for a photo. No battle of egos or fighting to steal the spotlight. Even if I haven't heard much about their relationship, it's clear they respect each other.

        Geoff wraps up the speech after everyone has snapped their pictures, and Brendon cuts across the room to us.

        My drink ends up in front of me during the speeches, and before I glance down to take a sip, I spot a flash of a figure moving across the room, his dark eyes connecting with mine for a brief moment.

        Deja vu, maybe. It's hard to tell under these lights if I'm just imagining things.

        "What are you drinking?" Brendon asks, leaning over my shoulder to peek inside the glass.

        "Midori sour." I lift it to his lips and he takes a sip from the rim, pushing the straw off to the side. "Like a green apple Jolly Rancher."

        "I don't think I've ever had one of those in my life."

"What?"

        "Sorry." He shrugs with a guilty smile. I order another Midori sour for him.

        "There's our race winner," Rami says, walking around the table to give him a high five. "You looked good up there."

        "Thanks." Brendon returns the hug. His eyes flash over me for a second before looking at the rest of the band. "Glad you guys could make it."

        "We will never pass up free booze." Jun takes a sip of his beer.

        "Open bar. Help yourselves."

"Do you just leave that out in the open?" I ask, pointing at the trophies.

        He laughs and steps closer between Rix and me. "Don't worry. Security has their eyes on those."

        Rix adds, "Windsor's trophy display is overflowing. They could use a little help letting some of it go."

        Brendon shoves his elbow into Rix's side. "Says the two-time world champ."

        "Two?" I look at Rix, impressed.

        "It's been ages."

        Brendon steps in. "He's being modest. He's definitely top three on the grid and has the trophies to prove it."

        They volley banter between the two of them, trying to one-up the other in a game of compliments. Even though the high body count makes it difficult to breathe, the playfulness is sweet enough that I don't roll my eyes when Rami gestures with his finger toward the smile on my face.

        "Stevie," Rix suddenly says, dragging me away from my thoughts. "Did you know Windsor's favorite party tradition is karaoke?"

        "I see where you're going and it's a no."

        Brendon replies, "Oh, come on. You gotta."

        "Fine. I've reconsidered and change my response to hell no. First of all, my voice is my career," I point out. "You want me to sing, you gotta pay me. Second, nobody actually likes having a professional sing karaoke. It just looks like they're showing off. Listening to people sing My Heart Will Go On with the most off-key, ear-grating sound you've ever heard is what karaoke is about."

        Rix tilts his head to the side and points at me. "I don't think that's true."

        "It is. Trust me. A good singer who isn't a professional is the best you'll get. Anything more than that is boring."