22. Debut (2)

(So you asked for an update??)

We walked through the thick doors of the Emerald Palace into the ballroom where most the guests were already present. I could see by one glance that there were adults gathered in front of young girls, wishing them a good debut and welcoming them into society. Those same young ladies were giggling softly, rearranging their hair and thanking them. Some clung to their escorts, determined to show everyone a strong bond between them.

I spot two of my friends, Majorie and Alice over a counter with two men I didn't know.

Apart from those two and Claude, I think I don't care much for the rest of the people present currently.

Someone announced me and Claude and we simultaneously bowed down in front of the crowd. It wasn't even a question, we both simultaneously moved towards the buffet.

Although I had many contacts that were present, I almost never want to talk to them during big events like these. They however always come to talk. I'm still engaged to royalty, and since conversing with Claude was no different than talking to a wall, they always come to me instead. Everyone wants a good relationship since Claude will be some sort of important duke later. They also know about how I can have more than a 5 minute talk with Anastacius.

They always want things I never planned to give to them. And I won't because their requests are ridiculous. 'Please tell his highness that my family is wholeheartedly supporting him and we hope he considers our daughter to be crown princess. We also hope you support her.' Yeah hehe no. I know how much Anastacius hates having girls all over him. I respect him too much to actually do that.

"I don't see Felix around." I told Claude although I spotted Felix's father talking business in a corner.

"I talked to him about escorting your friend." Claude mumbled absently.

"Good job Claude." I said happily. "I knew I could count on you!"

"Well obviously." He shrugged.

"Hello lady Penelope!!" A girl walked towards me and Claude started scowling. She gulped but she still looked at me "I'm very glad I could debut at the same time as you m'lady! You look gorgeous as always!"

"So do you." I smiled and silently stomped on Claude's feet, reminding him to hide his expressions better. "I hope you enjoy today's event."

That meant: Please go away now I don't want to talk.

"Is your sister arriving anytime soon perhaps? I'm very fond of lady Roselia she always has such strong opinions." She giggled softly.

Sure, giggle, pretend you're cute...

"Oh." I said "Roselia always takes more time than needed to prepare herself. She always wants to look the best she could and requires more time than me. However her results are always satisfying. It's always worth the wait. She should be arriving with sir Margarita anytime now."

"Ah lady Penelope!" Another girl popped from who knows where "I just heard the recent rumors!"

"Which ones..?" I toon a step back and almost bumped into Claude.

"The ones about your cousin of course silly!" She said.

Omfg Roger...Why do I have to be your cousin?! As head of the Alpheus he always attracts too much attention!!

"Did you just call her silly?" Claude asked menacingly and the two ladies took a few steps back.

"Okay Claude, can you go get me a drink please?" I asked him before blood starts staining this holy event. "Thank you, you're wonderful." I shoved him away.