14. Sleepover

"My lady are you serious?" Jane's jaw dropped on the floor as I passed by the kitchen to tell her we'll be staying in the Emerald Palace tonight.

"Yes."

"And the count just...let you?"

"Yep." I nodded.

Count Judith yields my every request. This one was a little bit more difficult but since I sleepover many times at Alice and Majorie's house already and he himself would stay here tonight as well to spend the next day partying with Aetvum, he eventually accepted.

He's a pretty chill father.

Like yeah Claude's a guy but...He's sorta harmless no offense~

"Very well then..." My maid said "I'll come find you before it is your bedtime."

"See you then." I said as I turned my heels around and left.

I returned to the ballroom where there were gradually less and less guests. Empress Morgana was nowhere to be seen, she probably already turned in. Most of the elderly were leaving and the children were outside playing on the terrasse. The music was still present but the dancing has stopped. Technically if anyone wished to dance they could but there's never much people after the first 6 dances. Most people are just eating and talking now.

Claude went to bring the food up to his mother with Felix. Lilian was probably outside, I'll go join her.

"Penelope." Anastacius snuck up behind me and said.

"Hello again." I turned back and faced him. His eyes were bright jewel blue. No trace of Aeternitas in him.

"You were very rude to leave me at the hands of so many girls." He told me.

"I thought you liked the attention." I huffed.

"Yes. During little parties." He explained "I like to receive gifts and I like people trying to get me to like them. Not my father's birthday banquet where everyone tries to get me to court them!"

Does he hear himself talk? Probably not.

"Okay." I nodded.

*Uncomfortable silence.*

"How may I be of service?" I finally asked.

"I was just wondering if you'd like one more dance with me." He bent down, totally abusing of our height difference.

"But nobody is dancing." I observed intelligently.

"More space for us." Anastacius scoffed "I always wanted to dance alone with a lady while everyone else watches. It makes one feel so much more important."

"And it can't wait until you find the right partner?" I raised an eyebrow.

Notice two elements I've put in my well-phrased question:

- "Wait". Because we're young and why would he want to dance alone on a stage at this age? He's just 14. He could have a whole ball just to himself later on if he wants it. How'd a 14 and a 9 year old look dancing together alone while everyone else chatters? This is his father's birthday, wouldn't it be super weird?

- "Right partner". Because I'm implying and hinting strongly that I AM NOT HIS RIGHTFUL PARTNER.

Is Anastacius smart enough to understand this?