2. Diana

"Oh uh um..." Claude blushed and finally replied "Don't you remember what you said the last time we saw each other?"

Surely Penelope didn't ask him to never look at her, right?? Right?!

"My memory is a bit flawed. I had a bad headache last night." I said, conscious that Claude is now walking faster.

"Oh. Is it better?" He asked, looking slightly concerned.

Ah he's one sweet kid. Can't believe he'd grow up and commit fratricide...

"Yes it is, thank you for asking. Can you please remind me of what I said exactly?"

"You..." Claude looked even downer "You said that you weren't sure that you wanted to be engaged to me."

...

Penelope really said that?! And now I have to deal with it?! How dare she say something like that to him?! As his engaged, Penelope had a duty to be there for him even if they weren't married yet. She was one of the few people he could rely on since there weren't many there for him. That's it Penelope, I'm gonna clean up your mess and right these wrongs...

"I-..." My hand landed on his shoulder, forcing him to stop "I never meant that. I was just very tired that day and wasn't really thinking...!"

We resumed walking before the crowd swallowed us, I let my hand slide off, he didn't seem to react well to physical contact. It was very weird, touching a main character. I was having a hard time not letting my face show exactly what I was thinking which was: Kyaaaaaaa!!!! I just touched Claude!!! It was a strange silent form of euphoria.

I put a hand on my heart, conscious of it beating faster. Then I relaxed, reminding myself that this heart is strong and will hold. It will not suddenly stop. I don't need any medicine here.

"I'm very sorry if I hurt your feelings." I mumbled "I really didn't mean it."

"You also always acted as if you were discontent with our engagement too." Claude mumbled back.

Oh well there's no excuse for that behavior...!!

"Yes indeed, Claude..." I looked down "I was discontent. But now I think I've had a change of heart. It's unfair to act that way towards you and...You deserved better. You deserve better. Present tense."

He looked at me as if I was an alien. Yes I suppose this must be very un-Penelope-like.

"Okay." He said "Thank you."

"Now that everything's okay, would you like some fish sticks?" I suggested to kill the awkward silence.

"I never thought you of all people would enjoy these kinds of places so much." Claude said, looking perplexe.

"I recently realized how much I missed, only hanging with the same nobles. This is what a real life looks like." I shrugged. "It's not half bad."

"Will you be like this forever?" He asked, avoiding a bunch of children who almost ran into him.

"Like what?"

"Nice...To me."

Now how am I supposed to reply to that?!?!

"Would you like me to be mean to you?" I asked very generously.

Well bravo, Penelope, bravo...Oh I suck at this. Once adult, HE is going to be the one that asks to end the engagement.

"N-No." he blemished "This is fine. I don't want to me married to someone who'll be mean to me."

"Me neither."