Twenty-five: Swimming

Start from the beginning

Finally, Jay's phone rang, and he handed it to her in exchange for her argument with the authorities.

Sharise's voice melted like a balm in her ears. "I couldn't get through to your phone."

"Yeah, it... got wet."

"I'm not surprised. I didn't expect to see you on my feed, swimming in the canals."

Vera's hand flew to her mouth. "Oh my god. No. There's a video online? Already? Why?"

"Because people looking foolish will always be funny, I would imagine." She could almost hear Sharise's tiny, sympathetic smile, just the tips of her teeth visible.

She flushed with a level of embarrassment she hadn't known was possible. "What were you doing looking at social media when you're at the party of the season?" she asked, trying to deflect from her shame.

"We've left the party," Sharise said.

"You left?"

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. My phone isn't, and my clothes probably won't be." Vera squeezed water from the tips of her hair.

"Can I help?"

"No, really, I'll be okay," she said, although the offer made her feel cared for in that way Sharise was so good at, despite her mortification. "Why did you leave the party?" She had no idea what time it was, but she had assumed the yacht party would continue until well into the morning. Carmen, at least, would want to milk every bit of glory from her successful premiere. "And who's "we"? You and Carmen?"

Again Sharise ignored her questions. "I was going to invite you and Jay to come over to Carmen's hotel. We're planning to have some drinks by the rooftop pool."

Even in her foggy state, phone dead, shoes ruined, video online probably calling her a stupid American tourist that she hoped none of her followers would ever see, Vera found herself suddenly unable to think about anything but that vision she'd had, months ago, of Sharise in a swimsuit. There was nothing she would rather do than have a drink with Sharise by the rooftop pool at Carmen's luxury hotel.

Sharise continued, "But since you've already been swimming, I understand if you would rather go back to your own hotel."

"No," she said immediately. "That sounds great. We'll be there." She hung up and said, "Sorry, Jay, you'll have to tell your friend we're not coming to their party."

Somehow, Vera convinced the authorities to leave her with just a warning to be more careful and stay away from low railings. She stripped off her shoes and used Jay's phone to find a water taxi, not even asking how much it would cost. It didn't matter. She was already humiliated enough without having to walk back to their hotel barefoot.

The crowds had mostly dispersed the moment she had been pulled from the water, but a few bystanders had lingered to watch the aftermath play out, and even now there was still a phone camera turned her way. Vera narrowed her eyes at the photographer until they looked suitably ashamed of themself and lowered their phone.

She explained the plan to Jay as the water taxi zipped down the canals back to their hotel. Lily had come too, sitting quietly in the back. Vera ignored her. She held onto the scarf, though, flapping around her shoulders in the breeze.

"Wait, why did they leave the yacht party?" Jay asked.

"Sharise didn't say."

"Y'all think our plan backfired? Oh my god. Do you think Carmen threw a drink on Marina?" he suggested with wicked glee.

"You know, I wouldn't even be shocked. Oh. I forgot," Vera said slowly. "Did I tell you that I think those flowers from Troy might've actually been for Marina?"