Chapter 1: Champagne and Burn Victims

'Addison.'
'Derek.'
They were sitting on the front porch of the new house, overlooking the pool, champagne in their hands.
'Thank you for waiting,' Derek said, smiling gently at his wife.
'What?'
'Whilst I got over... her. But I promise you, she's out of my life now. Grey has a new boyfriend, and I have you.'
'Are you happy with that?'
'Extremely,' he said, sipping her champagne and squeezing her freshly manicured hand.
Addison smiled. She'd had to wait, but now, here she was, with the man she loved, had always loved, and would always love.
'You know what, Derek Shepherd?'
'What, dear Addison Shepherd?' grinned Derek.
'I love you.'
'I love you too, Addison.'
The sun finally set and they fell into bed. There'd be a huge crash today at the hospital with dozens of casualties and both of them had been running around all day.

The next day dawned, and as neither had surgeries or work until 9, they woke at seven and sat in bed together eating toast, a rare break from the hustle and bustle of their lives.
Derek sighed and kissed his wife's cheek as he finished his toast and clambered out of bed. 'Coffee?'
'Oh, yes please. Thanks, sweetie,' Addison smiled through a big bite of toast and jam.
Derek returned with two mugs of the hot coffee and Addison wrapped her hands around the mug as the warmth radiated through it. She suddenly bit her lip and turned to look at Derek, who was skimming the newspaper.
'Derek, we need to talk,' she said, quietly, putting her mug on her bedside table and staring at him.
Derek's eyes quickly met hers. 'What is it? Is it a good talk or a bad talk?'
'I think it's a good talk,' said Addison, smiling slightly in spite of herself.
'What is it? I know you, Addison Forbes Montgomery Shepherd,' he said, 'And you are barely keeping yourself from laughing, let alone smiling. Tell me!'
'Maybe I won't,' she teased, lying back down in the bed and turning over, 'Not if you're going to be so rude.'
Derek rolled his eyes. 'Come. On. Addison. Come. On.'
'Okay,' she said, 'Well, Doctor Shepherd, you're going to be a dad!'

Derek was still in a daze when he got home from work in the small hours of the morning two days later. He'd just worked a forty-eight hour shift with only seven hours sleep due to countless surgeries from the crash victims, but he was wide awake. Addison was pregnant? He was pretty sure he was happy, but it was only weeks after they'd completely made up and started having sex again and things were so new to them... but never mind. He was going to have a beautiful baby with the beautiful woman he loved and he was happy about it. Life was good.
'So,' said Derek, over some lobster in their favourite restaurant, 'How far along are you? I mean,' he lowered his voice, 'We've only been... doing it again for about six weeks.'
Addison giggled and kicked him under the table. 'I think I'm six,' she said, 'I must have gotten pregnant in the first few nights, to be honest. You work fast.'
'Well, I'm a surgeon,' said Derek, 'Time is of the essence, right?' He raised his glass.
'Right,' said Addison, 'To us.'
'To us.'
They clinked their glasses and sipped for a moment, before their pagers both buzzed.
'Oh, dammit,' said Derek, 'Another accident. Come on then.'
They paid as quickly as they could and raced outside to the car. Derek accelerated and they made it to the hospital in a few minutes. Addison changed her heels for flats and they ran towards the hospital.
'What's going on? Give me information,' said Derek quickly to Izzie Stevens, the nearest intern to him. 'Bus crashed into a lorry. A couple dozen casualties as it was a petrol lorry so...'
'Burns,' said Derek, nodding, 'Okay, go patch someone up Stevens.'
Izzie sped off and Derek moved to a bed containing the driver of the lorry who appeared to have brain bleeding.
'Okay, bring him into the OR,' he ordered Yang, the intern beside him, 'Call the family. O'Malley!' He turned around, 'You're scrubbing in on this. And make sure an OR's free and ready. Now, O'Malley!'
George nodded and ran off.
Derek spotted Dr. Grey and smiled at her as she dressed a small child's hand burns. She saw him and smiled back.
Derek ran off to the OR, and the rest of the night continued in a blur.