第37章 - Stronger

Start from the beginning

"Y-You actually don't know why they're so down?!" Panda asked in disbelief. Maki raised an eyebrow and looked at her friends in confusion.

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

"Someone really did die yesterday! One of the first-year boys!" Panda hissed.

"Bonito flakes" Maki stiffened and her glasses almost fell off her nose from how quickly her jaw dropped.

"You should've told me sooner! Now I look like some heartless, cold-blooded demon!" Maki shouted, pointing an accusatory finger at her friends. Now she felt like an asshole.

"That's exactly what you are, y'know?" Panda shouted back in response.

"Tuna mayo."

"You're supposed to make me feel better!" Maki shouted angrily, waving her hands in the air in frustration. She missed Hiyori. At least Hiyori would've offered her some form of comfort, unlike these two menaces.

"Who are they?" Nobara asked, watching Maki shout angrily at Panda and Toge.

"Our second-year upperclassmen." Megumi replied.

"You have to be kinder to your underclassmen. What would Hiyori think?" Panda lectured Maki who let out a "hmph".

"There's more to kindness than being soft on them" Maki mumbled.

"Zen'in-senpai is the best of all the students at wielding cursed tools." Megumi said, introducing his relative to Nobara.

"Mentaiko" Toge said.

"That's the Cursed speech user, Inumaki-senpai. He can only speak in onigiri ingredients." Toge nodded in greeting.

"She's a bit softer when Hiyori or Yuta's around though." Panda commented with a snicker while scratching his cheek.

"Panda-senpai." Nobara stared at Panda in a mixture of confusion and surprise. One of the upperclassmen was a...talking panda? What.

"There's Okkotsu-senpai but he's overseas right now." Megumi said, naming the dark-haired male who had easily earned his respect for climbing all the way to special grade from fourth grade within the span of three months.

"You're not adding more to the panda named Panda?" Nobara asked only to receive no response regarding Panda. 'Am I supposed to just take it in stride that there's a panda named Panda? What?'

"Okkotsu-senpai's one of the only ones I can openly respect. He takes things seriously." Megumi continued, ignoring Nobara's question. You never questioned why Panda was Panda. You just accepted it. Maki, Toge, and Panda exchanged disbelieving looks.

'Serious huh...'

Maki, Toge, and Panda watched their raven-haired friend from a distance. They exchanged wary looks as his dark blue eyes practically bored holes into the porcelain cup he nursed in his rough hands. The dull, murky brown color of his coffee was a mirror of just how dull his life was without his girlfriend here with him. He sighed for the nth time like a dramatic, depressed main character from one of those cheesy shojo animes he watched to feel something back when he wasn't in a happy relationship with the girl of his dreams. Yuta sighed again, this time far louder, causing a vein to pop out on Maki's forehead. His back was hunched sadly like an abandoned puppy.

"How long has it been?" Maki asked, looking at Yuta who looked like he had a literal gloom cloud following him around. She wrinkled her nose at his attitude. She understood missing Hiyori because who wouldn't miss Hiyori but this was a bit too far. She could see how Yuta and Satoru were related even if it was distantly. They were both so fucking dramatic.