第37章 - Stronger

Start from the beginning

"Sealing? Do you have a way to?" Jogo asked in confusion. Pseudo-Geto gave the cursed spirit a coy smile.

"We'll use the special grade cursed object - Prison Realm."

Megumi stared at the single ant crawling on the stone ground

Megumi stared at the single ant crawling on the stone ground. He wondered what it would be like to live like an ant. Maybe ants didn't feel so much guilt over not being strong enough to keep their comrades from dying. He heard the sound of footsteps before someone plopped down next to him on the stairs.

'Kugisaki..'

"What did he say to you?" Nobara asked. Megumi turned his head slightly to look at the orange-haired girl who was staring off into the distance.

"He said...to live a long life" Megumi responded, recounting the last words his deceased classmate had said to him.

"Live a long life? Doesn't really mean much if you go and die yourself" Nobara mumbled.

"Is this your first time losing a partner?" She asked, looking at Megumi from the corner of her orange eyes.

"First time for one my age" Megumi responded. He'd seen his fair share of people dying in the hands of cursed spirits but this one was more haunting. It was too similar to what happened last year.

"Huh? You seem to be taking it pretty well considering..." Nobara trailed off at the end but Megumi knew what she was getting at.

"You too"

"Of course, I only knew him for about two weeks"

"I'm not some simple woman who breaks down bawling when a guy I barely know dies" He watched Nobara bite her quivering lip. Her face was shrouded by her short-orange hair. He could hear the waver in her voice but chose to pretend he was unaware. Megumi turned his head back to look at the ant on the ground.

"It's hot, huh?" He said, changing the subject.

"Yea...wonder if it's time for summer uniforms" Nobara mumbled in response. The two heard the sound of footsteps approaching them.

"What's this?" Megumi and Nobara looked up to see the speaker.

'Zen'in senpai...'

"You're looking more glum than usual, Megumi." Maki said, staring down at Megumi and Nobara. She was dressed in a tracksuit, probably for training, and clutched a naginata in her hand. Maki raised an eyebrow at the depressing mood surrounding the two first-years.

"This a wake or something?" She asked.

"Zen'in-senpai" Megumi said in greeting.

"Don't call me by my last name!" Maki scowled.

"Maki! Maki!" Maki turned at the sound of Panda calling her name. His head was peeking out from a statue he was hiding behind with Toge.

"I'm talking here" Maki said, annoyed by the interruption.