30. Nobody Compares

Start from the beginning

I actually checked the clock was working twice that afternoon because it seemed to be going so slowly. I tried to keep busy but I couldn't concentrate on anything due to the butterflies dancing a permanent jig in my tummy. By 4.45 I was feeling physically sick, so I grabbed my bag and headed to the toilets to check my makeup. I reapplied some lipgloss and another coat of mascara, and quickly brushed my ponytail. I took a shaky breath and wandered back to my desk. Sarah looked up as I walked past.

"Fox alert!" She called. "What's with the makeup?"

Oh shit. "What do you mean?" I asked, stalling while I scrambled for an explanation in my head.

"You've applied lipgloss and mascara. Oh my God are you meeting someone after work?!"

Seriously, she should be a private investigator or something. "No," I lied. "I just caught sight of myself and realised I looked like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards."

"Bollocks," Sarah replied. "Where are you meeting him?"

I was panicking now. "I'm not meeting anyone!" I insisted. The clock read 16.59. I was going to have to make a quick dash for it at 5 to avoid the questions. I picked up my phone and went into my conversation with Harry. Where are you? I typed, hoping he would be waiting in the car so we could dash off. The clock changed to 17.00 and I pulled on my coat and picked up my bag. Sarah also stood up.

"Not so fast," she grinned.

"Sorry, I've got to run," I said, hoping she'd take the hint as I scurried through reception, but she was hot on my heels.

"Why so coy, Jess?" she teased as I hurried down the steps, frantically looking up and down the street for Harry's Range Rover.

"I'm just in a hurry," I muttered.

"I gathered," she said, as I turned onto the pavement and bumped into someone standing on the corner.

"S-sorry!" I stammered, still looking around for the car.

"Good job I wasn't holding a drink," a familiar voice said.

I looked up into the eyes of none other than Harry Styles, who was wearing a pair of sunglasses and a sexy smile. My stomach flipped and my heart beat even faster. I swallowed nervously, unable to pull my eyes away from his.

"Oh my Styles," breathed Sarah's voice behind me. I closed my eyes briefly and gave Harry a resigned smile. He grinned.

I cleared my throat. "Sarah, this is Harry. Harry, Sarah."

"Hi Sarah," Harry said, holding out his hand.

"Hi," she replied, shaking his hand and turning to me with her mouth hanging open. "What the fuck, Jess?"

"Sarah, I really need you to not draw attention to us," I pleaded. "I promise I will explain on Monday but please, please will you keep this to yourself? Please?"

Sarah must have heard the urgency in my voice, because she nodded wordlessly, looking back and forth between me and Harry.

"Thanks," I smiled gratefully. "Let's go," I said to Harry. "See you Monday, Sarah," I called over my shoulder as we began to walk down the street. Sarah just stood there staring after us.

"I take it that's the other fan," Harry said as we walked.

"Yeah, sorry about that. She cornered me as I was leaving. I didn't tell her anything," I said, hastily.

"Yeah I figured that out," he smiled.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"Costa?" he suggested, indicating to the one across the road.