<5>

"Hey Shi," a voice spoke, just as I was drifting off to sleep. I opened my eyes and saw Newt towering over me.

"Um, hi," I replied, sitting up.

"Do you mind if I sit down?" he asked, gesturing next to me.

"Go ahead," I smiled, turning my head to look at the sky.

"Hell of a first day," he smirked down at me.

"I have a feeling the next few days might be worse," I sighed, looking down at my feet. "What's going to happen to Ben?"

"Um, he's going to be banished, tomorrow."

"Banished? What does that mean?"

"You see how the doors closed tonight? Just as they start closing he'll be put into the maze," Newt looked down. "It isn't nice, but it has to be done."

"Do you think he might make it?" I looked up at him.

"No," he said quickly. "No-one survives a night in the maze. Ever."

"Oh," I choked out, looking down. Was I really put in this place, where people were sentenced to death, a gruesome death at that, after being ill? It seemed messed up and I could feel hot tears rolling down my cheeks.

"Don't cry," Newt looked at me and wiped my tears. He smiled at me and pulled me into a hug. "It's okay, it gets better. I promise."

"Hey! Get away from her!" a shout was heard from the deadheads. I saw a figure running over quickly, before it grabbed Newt away and they stood facing each other. That's when I realised who it was.

Gally.