7 - we'll fight together

D A Y

I don't see June come in while I prepare breakfast. I have one egg frying on a pan as I wash the leftover dishes. June's footsteps are as light as ever, and when she says "boo" into my ear, I let out a shriek of surprise.

I whirl around to see June smiling, "Sorry, I had to."

"'Course you did," I mutter, focusing my attention on my egg again, "If you haven't noticed, I'm making breakfast."

"There's one egg on the pan, Day," June points out, "One egg isn't going to fill us up."

I shrug, "There's nothing else in my fridge, June, what can I do? Plus, I made some coffee if you wanted some."

June sighs about my incompetence and helps herself with a cup of coffee. "We could just go out and eat at a cafe," she says, "Instead of just eating one egg."

I scoop the egg up and place it on a plate, "Too late, my dear, breakfast is made."

June stands up and tugs me alone, "I think I want a proper breakfast, Day, not something homemade. Come on, bring some Notes too."

Minutes later, we were standing in front of one of the cafes in the Ruby Sector. "Wow," I admire, "How fancy."

June enters with grace and I follow. I am wearing the same outfit I was wearing yesterday, since I didn't have time to change. June is wearing the same dress, because we were still in my apartment. Her ruby necklace still sits at the base of her throat, and I'm glad she's wearing it.

"I know we haven't addressed this," June begins, "But your birthday was a few months ago, correct?"

I nod, "And yours is next month."

June smiles, "Just eleven months ago, we connected our lives together again. And now it's June...my namesake," she laughs, "I guess everyday in this month is something for us, right?"

"Let's enjoy it," I reply, "The best we can."

Our food comes, and we devour it quickly. When we're done, June stands and I follow suite. She's left the money on the table, and I follow her outside. "You've met your squadron already, correct?" I confirm her question with a nod and she continues, "That's good. We'll do some minor training and wait for Anden's orders."

~

Hours later, I'm shouting my throat hoarse. "Lieutenant, I told you to go right, not left!" June is standing next to me, helping me with the directions and how to command the soldiers correctly. I think my patrol hates me already.

"Remember, you need to be precise, Day," June instructs, "or else your soldiers will take it the wrong way and you'll have a big problem in your hands."

I nod grimly. We're not even practicing with the mikes and I can't even be clear with my soldiers. "Alright, split your patrol in half and have the first half run forward to surround an enemy while the other prepares to fire if more enemies pour out."

I shout the orders out, following June's orders.

"Good job," June pats me, smiling, "With more pratice, you'll get the hang of it." I hope that's true, if I don't get it right during a battle, we're all screwed.

"Don't worry, I promise not to do anything cracked," I reply.

June's hands linger on my shoulder as she says, "It's okay if you mess up in these practice runs, Day, just remember that I had ten years to practice this, and you've only had one day. Anden tells me there's still plenty of time before we need to really retaliate and cause a war."