Chapter 90: Something Worth Keeping

Начните с самого начала

This isn't me...

Suddenly, a memory from the other day pops into her mind.

"Being afraid of who you are and what you have doesn't help..."

Crystal's words seem to bring her mind back to focus.

"You won't hurt others if you simply accept yourself and think about love." Emma's words chime in.

Easier said than done, the teen thinks to herself. How can I accept myself when I hate what I have?

Another phrase from the other day.

"...the more you hate it, the worse it gets,"

The ground rumbles beneath her like a reaction to her emotions.

It's going to keep getting worse, she mopes.

"Magic is a beautiful thing and it does take a lot to control it..."

"...think about those you love."

Doug's face enters her mind. His earnest green eyes and infectious smile. The sort of awkward way he walked and how he stumbled on his words when he was nervous, while at the same time explaining something at a rapid pace. It usually came out sounding like alphabet soup. The way he stood up for her when she was accused of cheating on a chemistry test with her magic mirror and stopping her from being expelled. How he believed in her when she took the test and she'd been convinced that she'd fail. He was always by her side whenever she was in the throws of designing something and how he was always there to listen. The way he made her laugh and held her close when they were together. Even the other night when they stayed up and sat on the couch, he made her feel safe despite how risky that could have been for him. He seemed to know that she'd never hurt him and trusted her.

Evie thinks of Mal next, her best friend and practically her sister. While the two had originally had a rough start, Mal saved Evie from falling under a thousand-year sleeping curse and that solidified that the daughter of Maleficent would do anything for her. The two of them had such a strong bond and the support they gave each other, especially when leaving the Isle and what was familiar. How Mal tolerated the multiple makeovers Evie would give her or make try on her different designs. When they worked together to rescue Ben and stood by one another despite being torn between their two worlds at the time. Mal also remained strong even though they were in such a strange situation now. Evie would do anything for her sister, and she knew Mal would do the same.

She thinks of Carlos, someone who else was her best friend and brother. She always admired how smart he was and how caring he could be to everyone. She remembers when they first met, Evie had been shoved into Cruella's closet and Carlos rescued her. She then gave him his first pillow and the two had trusted each other ever since. They looked out for each other, and the son of Cruella helped her realize that her past on the Isle was part of who she was.

Jay's laughter enters her mind. The best friend and the most hilarious brother. The son of Jafar never failed to make her laugh, he was a clown and even when he pulled pranks, it was only for fun. She can remember how he originally messed around with her and even stole her necklace at one point, but they did get closer, and she did get the necklace back. Evie knew that Jay would do anything to protect her, and he taught her how to show strength from inside.

A warm glow fills her body and the teen's breathing evens out more. She feels a whole lot better. She stops crying and her whole body relaxes.

Removing her hands from the dirt, she realizes that there is no longer light emanating from her hands.