Chapter 1 - Goodbye House

So, here's the chapter you've all been waiting for.

******************************************************.

I sighed, sweat trickling down my forehead, glancing at our yard. Or, what used to be ours. I scraped my auburn hair backwards. Why did we have to move? Even if it was only a few counties away, it felt like Westdale County was gazillions of light years away from here, Cricket Falls. Dad told me there were tons of better opportunities in Westdale. But, he's like that, always looking at the glass half full. He said we get a bigger house, with three floors and a HUMUNGUS basement for Cher and I to 'play' in. As if we 'played' a lot together. He said there was also a basketball hoop in the backyard and we could set up a mini pool and water slippery slide in the summer. I loved that we would get these things, but I loved this house, the house I grew up in. It produce a quaint sort of feel, and lovely little feeling, knowing that not only the house belonged to you, but you sorta belonged to the house. Everything was significant . The little My Little Pony collectors tin with the magnetic forest on the outside, the cardboard box I had made in 3rd grade about my family, the worn down sofa that Missy, our cat had scratched down to pieces, the old crackling T.V set from when Mom was growing up. Dad always swore that the T.V set could be worth millions if only Mom would sell it. She refused, saying 'it was her only leftover part of her childhood.' There were also traces of our family left on the walls and doors of our home. The pencil marking that measured our heights as we grew, the tape on the walls from Cher's boy band posters, the scraping marks on the floor from when I was taking tap dance lessons in 1st grade. I left the worn down window seat and made my way into my room. Or what used to be my room. The door was closed. As if locked forever, locked for billions and millions and gazillions of years. It was as is the door was the portal to a secret place that no one had been to for ages. We had been living in a hotel the passed few weeks and Dad would come visit the house and help the movers pack us out. It took a long time because of all of Dad's art exhibits and sculptures that he had refused to get rid of, but were very delicate and precious. I gripped the handle of the door, the bold metal piece that was always a bit crooked and opened the door, slighting pushing down on the handle. Crick pshhh. Dust fell like little acrobats taking flips off a rope, holding on dearly to the door frame and then all at once jumping off and drifting to the tile floor. I caressed my hand along the walls, letting my hands fall over every crack and chip and every scratch and mark.

The room was barren and empty like a wild ice cold tundra, nothing except white as far as the eye could see. The room felt so much bigger. I ran along to the window looking out at our yard that Alison, the real estate lady had mowed over and over again in hopes to make it look clean and polished. There was a white pole with a sign, West Real Estate, freshly printed with a picture of Alison on it.

"Ebony, come on, we're loading the truck." Mom's voice echoed in the empty house.

I sighed, got up from my perch by the window and sulkily stepped into the kitchen to find Alison rummaging in the open boxes.

"Dad says we can only keep one kettle." Cher whined, holding up the big red brass one and the white one with flowers on it. "I like them both. All or none."

"Just bring them both. Dad won't notice, he's far too busy with the movers to notice. And when he does, just tell him the truth." I took both of the kettles from her and put them both into the box, before taping it shut. Grabbing hold of both sides I heaved it up and wobbled out of the house and onto the patio where Dad was helping load boxes. "Here's one from the kitchen. There are two more big ones and a small one still in there. Cher's bringing them." Just as I said that, Cher came, wildly pushing two boxes stacked on top of each other ahead of her and dragging one behind.

I helped carry a few more boxes out of the house before it was time to go. It had been a long day, but I didn't want to leave the house.

"Ebony, it's time to go." Mom called, her voice echoing within the halls.

"Okay, mom. When will we come back tomorrow? At what time?" I asked her, looking out at the houses across the street from ours.

"Honey, your father and I have decided that we're done packing. We're done with the house too. Someone bought it and wants to move in in a couple of weeks. We need to get out of here fast. We're going to check out of the hotel tomorrow morning and drive to our new house." Mother said. I could see that she was trying to force a smile, but I could hear the thick coat of sadness behind her voice. "Come one sweetie, it's time to go."

I pushed myself up, letting my hands scrape across the patio steps. The patio steps had always been rough and uneven. When Cher was small, she had tumbled down the uneven patio steps and hurt her arm. She had to get three stitches and a cast. Dad always said he would file a work order to get the steps fixed, but he never did. I hoped the people after us wouldn't.

"Let me say goodbye to the house, once and for all." I whispered softly, my hands wiping away any hot tears that were falling down my face like a broken tap. I couldn't stop my crying. I rushed into my room and threw myself on the floor. Breathing in the new, old house smell. It was new to most people, but so very old to us. The cedar wood was smooth. I thought of how every night, I would slide my feet across the smooth floor, moving out of control on the slick wood towards my bed. I then thought of how I would never do that again. Ever. In. This. House.

I flung my arms against the wall as if giving the house a great, big, giant hug. "Goodbye house. Goodbye my childhood. Goodbye old friend. And good luck."

******************************************************

SOOO. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter, I enjoyed writing it. I know I promised you this chapter weeks ago, but, first chapters are very hard to write.

Please tell me what you think about this chapter by commenting down below. If you follow me, you would know that I am doing a challenge in the month of April. (And I've challenged a few other people to do so too. If you got challenged, don't forget to challenge 4 other wattpadians). My challenge is to update every story and get up to at least 55 followers. I think I can do it!

Anyways, following me gets you sneak peeks on what I'm writing, and you can even be featured in my stories! Follow me for more stories like this!

I hope you liked it, and don't forget to like, vote, add to your reading list, share and comment. Also, your votes tell me that you want me to write more chapters like this. If you don't, well don't vote. I don't care. We're just not buddies anymore.

Toodles,

@ginnyharryforever

P.S I will be updating this every other week along with Sacrifice and Wolf's Red.