The Forsaken Office

"With the crystal's energy working as a battery, we wouldn't need an external source of fuel." Viktor explained in his heavy accent, as he gesticulated towards a model on top of the table of a big helix covered by metal plates, sucking all the air from one side of the contraption and sending it all straight to a metallic pipe on the other side. "We could have a ventilation system all over the Lanes pumping the lethal gasses directly from the source and out of the city."

Professor Heimerdinger scratched his chin in concentration as he got closer to the model "Indeed, it would cut back a lot on material usage..."

"Not only that, but with HexTech energy we could scale the dimensions down to a minimum." Jayce exclaimed, grinning. His hands moved, emphasizing his speech. "This would cause the system to impact very little on the Undercity morphology."

 "Hmmm... You boys might be onto something, for sure." Heimerdinger muttered, now carefully tinkering with the device. "Of course, this kind of implementation demands further knowledge on the Undercity morphology, as well as its habitants lives and routines."

"We're planning some trips down the Lanes to gather more data on that." Viktor said, looking at Jayce that nodded in confirmation. "The material we found in the Library and at the Academy Archives is long outdated..."

The yordle turned to Viktor with furrowed brows. "Didn't you check the UDS?"

"The UDS, professor?" Jayce blurted out loud.

"The Undercity Development Section." The yordle retorted as if it was obvious, not facing Jayce. "At the Academy Architecture and Urban Planning Division."

"We didn't know there was such a section." Viktor voiced, lifting an eyebrow at Jayce that looked back at him with the same confusion in his eyes. He directed his attention back to the Professor. "We did ask for the Architecture and Urban Planning Division's material on the Undercity, but they didn't have anything substantial."

Heimerdinger sighed with a side glance. "This doesn't surprise me. I don't believe many people even remember its existence." He turned his attention back to the scientists. "Her office is not even on the same floor as the rest of the Division. Let me scribble its location down to you, yes?"

---------------------

"No wonder nobody knows about this place." Jayce looked up at the dusty door sign, Undercity Development Section engraved on it. "This floor is supposed to be lined only with storage rooms."

"Obviously the Undercity section would be treated with low prestige." Viktor sighed, leaning on his cane. "By the state of this place it probably doesn't get much funds. This will probably be a waste of time, we'll end up having to gather data ourselves."

"We're already here, might as well check what data they have." Jayce patted Viktor on the back, trying to cheer his partner up. The other scientist sighed in defeat as he knocked on the door, giving in to Jayce's optimism. 

No one answered. Jayce leaned over, pressing an ear to the door. Viktor followed. The duo couldn't hear anything more than faint music being played in the background.

"Well, someone's here." Jayce concluded out loud as he reached for the doorknob. To his surprise, it clicked open.

 "This is very impolite." Viktor scolded his partner, grabbing Jayce's arm to stop him from opening the door. "We should really just knock again and wait."

"C'mon, V. You're the one saying this would be a waste of time." Jayce retorted, taking Victor's hand off of his arm. "We might as well just get in and get this over with."