Chapter Thirty-Five: The Answer

Start from the beginning

The kid's own smaller fingers mimicked where yours were placed, and you quickly slid your hand away to allow him to take the commlink again. But then he glanced back towards you expectantly, as if he wasn't entirely certain what else to do.

"Go on," you whispered, lightly pushing the object closer to his mouth. "Say something."

His gaze returned to the device. A beat of silence passed... Until, "Patoo."

What ensued afterwards had been complete static whilst you and the kid both anticipated a response from the Mandalorian. But within a few seconds, his distorted voice emanated from the speaker. "Kid?"

Familiarized with Din's voice, the Child had peered back at you again—this time with a toothy grin, as if he couldn't believe the object had worked and he could hear Din right now. You returned the smile and decided to watch the 'conversation' unfold rather than join in immediately.

"Are you okay?"

The tone of strict urgency in his voice didn't go unnoticed by you. Honestly, you were surprised he was even capable of taking a few seconds out of his time to answer this call even though the constant sounds of repeating blaster fire were perceivable in the background. Evidently, it seemed he cared enough about you and the kid to reply even when under dire circumstances... and that, you had to admit, was endearing. The Child's sole response to Din's question was a giggle, although it wasn't like he could say much else.

First, Din voiced your name—"Where is she?"

The kid continued to babble into the device's microphone, entirely disregarding Din's inquiry—and you couldn't help a silent chuckle.

"Okay. Can you give her the commlink?"

"Eh?"

"Kid. Can you... give your mom the commlink? Please?"

The kid's eyes met with yours again... and he offered you the device. It definitely took a quick moment for you to comprehend what you had heard, but you had gladly accepted the object back into your own hand. Being aware of the fact that they both considered you as the kid's mother was... shocking, actually. Really shocking. You were clueless as to when all that had started, but it wasn't like you were complaining anyway. Instead, your endearment towards them had multiplied... and you did need a split second to answer after that. Grinning from ear-to-ear, you couldn't help realizing that it had been a while since you had smiled this widely and genuinely.

It was nice for a change.

"Yeees, Din?"

"Is everything okay?"

"Yes, why?"

A sigh was heard from him... although you weren't sure whether it were a sigh of frustration or relief. Probably both. "You know I told to use this only in the case that something happens..."

"Something did happen. Your foundling wants to talk to you!"

"I wish I could but I have to go. Did you get to a medic?"

"Yeah... They have me waiting in a lobby. It's taking forever."

"Good. I'll see you later, okay?"

"Okay..." you quickly dismissed him afterwards. He did sound rushed and the shoot-out seemed to have been worsening by the second, so you let him slide for now... But a smirk spread on your lips, gaze dropping down to the Child again. "We'll bother him again later."

A mechanical voice reverberated throughout the waiting room, calling out your name and immediately capturing your attention. With the apprehensiveness stirring up in your stomach again, you rose from your spot along with the Child in one arm, returning the commlink to your pocket with the other. Nausea threatened to trounce  your senses again. Although you attempted to ignore the urge to vomit, it proved to be nearly impossible—but you kept yourself contained the most you possibly could. As you trailed closely behind the nurse droid who had requested you, it guided you down the endless hallways of the medical center. Colorless walls encased you as you continued down the path you were being led down, a countless amount of doors surrounding you on both sides. Easily, you could find yourself utterly lost here, without knowing which direction the exit would be.