Chapter 40

Steve woke up at 06:32 and saw what was on the coffee table. He sat up and felt sick. His head was pounding too. He grabbed the painkillers and swallowed it, before downing the glass of water. He stood up and stretched, then went into the bedroom to get changed and get ready for the day. He saw Natasha sleeping and walked over to her. He kissed her forehead and whispered, "Thanks, baby." He smiled after.

At 07:00, Steve was in the lift to the 31st floor. When the lift doors opened, Steve saw that the Christmas tree was all decorated and the festive lights were off. He switched them on and smiled. He saw that under the tree, there were mountains of presents stacked all around. He gently placed the presents he had wrapped in an empty space and made breakfast, so Pepper wouldn't have to.

At 08:30, everyone came out of the lift. They all saw breakfast on the table and saw that the lights were on. Steve came out of the kitchen and saw everyone.
"Good morning guys! Tomorow is Christmas!" Steve said as he put down the last cup on the table. "Take a seat guys, breakfast is ready." Steve announced. Everyone walked over and Steve pulled out a chair for Natasha. She sat down and Steve sat next to her.

After breakfast, everyone watched TV and played dares. They all decided to go to the mall, just to see if they wanted to buy anything else as a last minute present.

At the mall, the Avengers separated, but Steve and Natasha went around together. They went to a pranks store and bought something for James. They were walking around outside the stores and Natasha heard a gang of three incoming girls say, "What would you do if you met the Avengers? My favourite Avenger is Natasha Romanoff."
Natasha stopped and pulled Steve to a halt.
"Steve, kiss me."
"What? Not in public." Steve faced her and looked confused, "You never want to kiss me in public."
"Please, Steve." Natasha stared at him. Steve looked around, but the group of girls were getting closer. Natasha pulled Steve's head down to kiss her. She decided she would kiss Steve until the girls had passed. They stopped just behind Steve, so Natasha just held onto him. She used her other hand to guide Steve's hand to her waist from his pocket. They group sat on the bench right next to Steve and Natasha. Natasha thought "Are you girls serious?". Natasha slowly moved round, so Steve's back was facing the girls.

Natasha let go of Steve and whispered, "Steve, the reason I wanted you to kiss me is because I needed to hide my face and you were the first thing I thought of. The girls sitting on the bench said their favourite Avenger is me and I didn't want them to know that I'm only a metre away."
"Natasha, you should've just said. I just thought it was wierd of you to ask me to kiss you in public." Steve looked behind him at the girls. He was just about to turn around when the girls looked at him and their mouths dropped open.
"Oh my gosh! It's Steve Rogers!" One of the girls screamed.
"No no no no no no no! Sssshhh!" Steve held his hands out to hush them. They got up and ran to him. Natasha turned her back to them and put her hood up.
"Oh my gosh! He spoke to us! Wait, if you're Steve Rogers, is that... Natasha Romanoff!" Another girl spoke. Natasha swore under her breath and started to walk away.
"No, she's not." Steve tried to persuade the girls.
"But you were kissing her." A girl ran after Natasha. Steve ran after the girl and tried to catch her. He went to grab her arm, but narrowly missed.
"No, please! Stop!" Steve ran faster and managed to grab her.
"Please don't... She doesn't want attention." Steve dragged her back to her group.
"But, she's our favourite Avenger and we are desperate to meet her. If she doesn't want attention, why doesn't she run away?" The girl looked behind her at Natasha.
"She can't run... At the moment. She won't be able to for a little while." Steve looked back at Natasha too.
"Why not?" The third girl finally spoke.
"It's personal." Steve lowered his voice.
"You can tell us. We won't tell anyone else." All three girls spoke at the same time.
"No. I don't even know you." Steve looked back and saw that Natasha had vanished. He looked back at the girls then sprinted off. The girls chased him, but he was too fast. He ran round the mall and up the stairs. When he was confident he had lost the girls, he returned to the ground floor and texted Natasha. His text read, "Hey baby, where are you? The girls are gone."