Prologue

*Posting schedule will be every Monday and Thursday* 

The ties binding my wrists dug into my skin. The tight grip a goblin guard had on my shoulder seemed to push me into the ground rather than lead me to my trial. I could hear quiet voices ahead of me, the shuffling of the chairs as my audience got ready to see what would happen with me.

My heart filled with more dread. What would happen to me? Exillium wouldn't be a great enough punishment for me, especially seeing that me, along with Fitz, Biana, Dex and Sophie, had already been there, done that.

Guilt washed over me, and my knees almost gave way. All this time, all these long months, I kept convincing myself that joining the Neverseen was for the greater good. That I would be useful if I could be a double agent, if I could strip the Neverseen of their secrets and let the whole organisation crumble.

But, as I'm starting to realise more and more, my plans never work out like I saw them in my head. I just have the talent of making them seem like they do.

I try to force the guilt away. As Sophie had said many times, it's better if I was angry. It's better if the guilt can't get to me. But what is there to be angry about?

And Sophie...

This was all for her. I did it all for her. If I could help her with inside information, it would make taking down the Neverseen that much simpler, it would help Sophie sleep. But all I have done is break her heart. She trusted me. She believed in me. And I betrayed her. The look on her face had always shown her thoughts.

It was all for nothing, to add salt to the wound. I didn't come back a hero, I never heard my arrogant father give me praise for doing something right for once.

I didn't bring even one scarp of useful information with me.

All I managed to do was turn my friends away from me.

Hurt them. Put them in danger.

Land myself into trouble with the Council.

Lost the Black Swan's trust.

And maybe even lost Sophie.

That thought stings worst of all.

I can see the twelve Councillors now. Bronte, still and annoyed as usual, Oralie, regal yet kind. The pieces don't add up though. How would the Council know that I joined the enemy?

As I was led through to the middle of the hall, Councillor Emery stood up. The room fell into a ghostly silence. To my left and right there were rows of chairs filled by the audience. Though I only looked at the Councillors.

'As many of you know, we have gathered here to place Keefe Sencen under trial for defecting to the Neverseen.' Emery looked me in the eye, and I gulped. 'You shall not speak until you are given permission, and the Councillor's decision shall be final.'

I gave a quick, small nod, not knowing if I needed to answer or not.

Emery continued, 'Mr Sencen's joining the Neverseen has breached multiple of our laws, and he shall be punished accordingly. But before he is condemned to punishment, we must all hear the exact story to fairly decide Mr Sencen's fate.'

I hated how Emery used every single opportunity to repeat that I was going to be punished. I know that much, now tell me how!

'Mr Sencen, why did you go against numerous elvin laws and find refuge in the enemy?'

I could feel every eye in the room glaring at me. Silence filled the room, until I spoke. 'I...' Standing straighter, I tried not to wince at the pain circulating around my body. 'I needed to get into the Neverseen from the inside. I needed to take them down.' My answer wasn't good enough, but what else could I say? That I wanted to show my dad I was worth something? To give my mum some revenge? To help Sophie?

The silence was haunting. But then I stole a look at my father, who wasn't even looking at me. Instead, he was staring straight ahead, the look of disappointment on his face so, so familiar.

I could feel red hot rage building up inside me, and I didn't stop it.

'I am nothing like my mother!' I shouted. My father didn't flinch. 'Don't you dare compare me to my parents!'

'That is quite enough!' Bronte yelled over me.

'I am not a villain!' I finished, my throat burning, my eyes misty.

Several gasps followed. Emery had his fingers at his temples, frowning. 'This does not excuse your actions.' His voice boomed over the hall like a wave. 'All other witnesses have been interrogated privately, so please be patient while I with the rest of the Councillors come to an agreement.' His fingers went back to his temples, and with a sinking dread I realised they were deciding my fate.

A door opened and goblin guards brought out Fitz, then Dex, then Biana, then Sophie. Her eyes locked onto mine, tears streaming down her cheeks. I didn't realise she wasn't in the audience, but I wanted to rush to her, to all my friends, and tell them that it's okay, that I'll find a way to come back from whatever punishment I was given, but before I had the chance a goblin grasped me from behind, holding me steady.

I could feel how worried they all were. The anxiety coming at me in waves almost bowled me over, but I stood strong. Looking into each of my friends' eyes, I tried to fight back tears of my own.

Keefe, I-

I heard Sophie's voice in my head, and I grasped at the beautiful sound, but it was gone as quickly as it came. When I followed her gaze, it ended on Emery, who was looking straight at me, boring into my mind.

'The Councill has made a decision.' He started, and I could see Sophie clinging onto Dex, her knuckles while. Fitz was squeezing Sophie's other hand, and Biana steadied herself on her brother. The whole room was holding their breath.

'What Mr Sencen has done is inexcusable and wholly goes against Elvin principles and values. Defecting to a dangerous public enemy has put the stability and trust in our world in a dangerous position. It is imperative that citizens are assured of what will happen to defectors and made to feel safe in our changing world.' A dramatic pause cleared the way for silence, until Emery continued, 'As a result, Mr Sencen is, until the Neverseen are defeated and put on trial, permanently banished to the Forbidden Cities, and will have his memories removed.'

With a dreadfully painful sob, Sophie collapsed on the floor.