We had made it successfully to the landing at the top of the stairwell. I was convinced that we'd made it out safely when suddenly I heard footsteps again, just outside the door. My arm swung out and pulled Niall against the wall. I pressed myself into the hard surface as far as I could. The flashlight switched off in a millisecond. We were back in darkness. Silence, and darkness. My head spun with momentary vertigo, like when you're in bed and you close your eyes, and you feel as though your bed is spinning around the room. I felt like I was in a rotating chamber.

I would never have caught the footsteps unless I was being extra observant, and luckily I was. The steps faded quickly, which led me to believe that it was just a stray servant, or, worst case scenario it was Louis, and we were about to get caught.

C-L-E-A-R

I tapped the wall gently with my fingertips.

Y-E-S

Niall confirmed.

I felt around for the door handle until I felt the cool metal in the palm of my hand. I twisted it slowly, then prayed that this door wasn't creaky. I pushed just slightly so that I could see a crack of light coming from the outdoor lights through the windows. I pressed my face up to the sliver of sight, and scanned the foyer for threats. From what I could see, there was nothing. If we ever wanted to get out of this basement, I had to take this risk.

I pushed the door open just enough for both Niall and I to slip through. Niall gently clicked the door shut. We were in the clear so far. There was no sign of anybody around. Louis and Isaac must've left the mansion as soon as they were finished talking. I couldn't help but be wary though. If we hadn't noticed the basement door being open when we walked in, we would never have known that Louis was around. If I hadn't been in the evidence locker that night at the precinct, I don't think I would have even suspected that Louis was working with the organization.

Niall and I sneaked around the pillars in the foyer until we made it to the front door. From there we could act like nothing had happened, and if we were caught by any servants, or worse- Isaac himself, we could say we took a detour to look at Christmas lights. We had an alibi.

We walked in silence, up to our wing. I still hadn't let that breath out of my chest. I wouldn't until I knew we were safe for sure. Niall opened the door to the wing for me, and let me walk in first. I did a quick scan of the room, checking for any sign of movement. There was none. It was exactly how we'd left it a few hours ago. Books were laid out on the coffee table, half read by people who didn't have the concentration to appreciate them anymore. Socks were left on the couch because nobody bothered to put them away. The tv was even still on, rolling sports highlights before Christmas break began.

Niall closed the door behind him, and finally, with a cheesy sports commentator's voice chattering in the background, I let my breath out. The release was euphoric, but I knew that my list of worries was only growing. I couldn't even begin to count up all of the possibilities of danger I was facing. Niall was the one who was brave enough to speak first.

"So now what?" He stood in front of me like a man frozen in time.

"We need Harry." I began to pace around the room, trying to figure out where to start. "We need Harry. Call him and tell him it's an emergency. We need to discuss backup plans in case the wedding plan backfires."

"How could it backfire?" Niall frowned as I started to pick up the random items that were left laying around the living room- I was stress cleaning.

"Hm I don't know- how about the fact that there's a leak in our fucking system and we could be totally screwed!?" I shook my head at him.

"Okay but hear me out Phil, he told them that the storm was in the New Year." Niall brought up. "Tommo wasn't in Montauk when we decided when we'll storm. He has no idea when we're planning it."