Empty handed heartbreaks

Start from the beginning

She stared at him for a moment with a dagger of betrayal in her heart, wanting to scream at him, to throw whatever she could find and yell that it was unfair that he couldn't just trust her like she trusted him, that she had to prove herself even to him.

But she felt a need to keep him there, to apologise and to make his want to yell at her disappear from him- a need she hated felt so familiar from her past, a need that came from even the slightest hint of fear, a need she had never felt with Morgan before.

"T-transferring here was apart of the mission" she began quietly, hating that she gave into that need she vowed she would never do again for a man, "they needed me here, the Whitehouse were working with the CIA and they needed information about an international issue that they couldn't quite get with asking a favour from the FBI so they needed someone no one would think was trying to get intel... someone like the receptionist for the Whitehouse gift shop."

Morgan tilted his head, "you were really just a receptionist?"

She nodded, still looking at the ground, "I needed extra cash and to get away from Jacob so I moved to Washington, worked at a couple of bars at night and then got a day job there. Then they approached me about this big job promotion, found out everything about me and basically blackmailed me with sending Tobias to prison for his drug charges if I didn't help. They 'trained' me by sending me out to different secret service and CIA missions, hence the missing for three years at my Whitehouse job, and then they transferred me here when I was trained up and earned their trust and get the skills they needed me to have..." she looked up at him finally, "kinda makes the whole 'dumb Darling actually works for the CIA' reveal seem a little lacklustre now doesn't it?"

"I... I don't understand" he shook his head, "why did they send you here?"

Darling let out a sigh, hating that she had to reveal this part, "they needed someone to get close to the team, a team I really didn't know you were on by the way, and get close to Hotch specifically... to find out some information about an old agent that used to work with him and you guys for a bit."

Morgan tilted his head at her, pausing at the infliction of 'close' that hit him like a truck with a realisation.

"Wait, wait, wait- so you had to seduce Hotch?" He scoffed, "what the hell Darling?!"

"It wasn't exactly my choice now was it" she folded her arms, "it was the orders- I hated them and felt sick to my stomach especially when I got here and it turned out it was your unit but I-"

"Oh my god" Morgan stepped back, "you slept with him?!"

"What?! Ew! Ew no of course not!" Darling exclaimed in genuine disgust and shock that he would suggest that she would do that.

"Then what happened?" He demanded.

"He figured it out and called me out on it before I could even try anything they told me to do, he's a damn good profiler I'll give him that" she shook her head, "I wanted to call it off immediately when you walked into his office, when I saw it was your team but they wouldn't let me, they threatened me with Tobias again and the things they had made me do in that 'training' so I couldn't and they made me change the plan and-"

Darling shook her head and Morgan was hit with a sudden painful realisation that made him step back from her as things connected in his head.

A timeline appearing.

Darling arriving.

Hotch figuring out her plan and ruining it.

Darling having to switch up the plan.

Darling confessing her feelings for Morgan...

"Oh... oh right so this was that then? This was their compromise for your 'plan.'"