Home Again

Along with being the ship's captain, Dietfried Baugainvillea spent time pouring over a thick book his father kept of maritime law during war and peace time. 
    "Ah!" he exclaimed to himself,  from behind his father's heavy desk, his finger tapping on an open page. "Found it."  He then called for Gilbert and Violet, who were both up on deck, easing the workload of the weary cadets. 
     Violet had tied her hair away from her face with her red ribbon and had come across a stash of Gilbert's sailing clothes from when he was a pre-teen. The trousers were a decent length but with the help of suspenders, they kept at her waist. The button down shirt may have been a bit long in the sleeve, but Violet rolled them to still clasp at the wrists.  
     "Violet the cabin boy, is it?" Gilbert had laughed when she appeared top deck.   She saluted then got right to work.
    "Look," said Dietfried, heaving the book around for them to see.
     "And what are we looking at exactly?" Gilbert wanted to know, bending over the book to read. He straightened again and looked at Violet.
     "According to this, Dietfried, as captain, could sign the proper documents to have us married today, provided we have not arrived at our port of destination."  Gilbert turned back to his brother. "Did I read that correctly?"
     Dietfried nodded, elbows on the desk, fingers linked, just as their father used to do.
     "We are still considered under wartime law for marriage nuptials, but not for very much longer.  Emergency measures can still be put in place. Documents are written up here, signed by me as this ship's captain, witnessed by Sigmund, the only cadet with us that is of age, and put into pending for the official seal once land is reached."
     Gilbert frowned.  "Must such measures be taken?"
    "Actually, yes." Dietfried answered in the tone he used for challenges, "You need to be officially on the 'same page' with your names.  Aliases may work for hermits, but it becomes difficult when it is the two of you, both of you in rather high profile positions.  Time to put the alias names aside."
     "And the dangers thereof?"
    "Yes, dangers are still lurking, but there is hope that on such a remote island such as Ecarte, your reputation there may override your military rank, which is something you still want to keep under wraps.   Perhaps  the Baugainvillea name does not carry the weight it once did." 
     Both brothers looked at each other solemnly.  "The Baugainvillea name was what Father cared about the most."  Gilbert mused aloud.  "But I've lived under another name for some time now.  Can't be too upset, can I?"
      "Father's pride came from his military prowess, not of what the name has built in commerce and the philanthropy built out of mother's art collection." Dietfried reminded him, and Gilbert had to agree. 
     "I'll have the documents prepared by this evening if you'd be so good as to mind my crew on deck."  Dietfried said.  They both looked at Violet.  She stood off to the side in a sailor's stance, hands clasped behind her back, her eyes ever watchful. 
     "What do you think about it?" Gilbert asked her.
     "Yes," Violet answered, "In honor of you and your late mother, I will take the name Baugainvillea."
      Gilbert grinned. "So be it."
     "Alright, no time to waste." said Dietfried, opening a nearby file cabinet.
     By sunset, the document was ready to sign.  Violet and Gilbert stood at the desk, both cleaned up, wearing a clean change of clothes.
Gilbert was hard-pressed to say the last time Violet looked as lovely as she did standing beside him now.  He held his left hand out to her and she took it, as Dietfried called the eldest of the cadets to come witness the signing.
     "This doesn't upset you, does it?" Gilbert asked, "I know you wanted to be married on Ecarte."
     "It couldn't matter less where we are married, as long as you have no regrets that we are." Violet replied.
     Dietfried waited for the ink to dry, and folded the parchment into thirds to await the official seal. He stood from the desk, slipped the document into a small wooden chest and locked it. 
     "There." He said with finality. "Time for some fresh air."  He came around the desk and looked down at Violet, his mouth pressed into a thin line, as usual.  Violet did not look at him but straight ahead.
     "Violet," he said. Only then did Violet lift her head and look him straight in the eyes. "You are brave. You are strong. And you have proven your love for my younger brother many times over."  Dietfried placed a hand on her shoulder. "You've honored our family, our mother most of all."
     "Thank you, Captain." said Violet.
     "You are kindred now. Call me Dietfried."
     "Yes, Dietfried." said Violet, "It shall be used as part of the name of our firstborn son."
     Dietfried paused and then bowed to her graciously.  "You honor me, Violet Baugainvillea."
                       *.         *.        *
     Ecarte was as they had left it. Beautiful. Serene. Home.  A hired cart was loaded and the nautical academy cadets were put to work once more to move the four full trunks up to Gilbert and Violet's home. 
     Violet was sound asleep by the time Gilbert lay down beside her.  He lay the length of his body along the length of hers and breathed in her hair and savored her warmth. 
      If they had not been so very exhausted from putting their home back into order throughout the day, he would have kissed her awake, but they had the rest of their lives together for that.