Disembarkation

Such was the advantage of sailing in a private vessel that one could disembark in a private marina.  Bypassing the great port of  Leiden kept 'One-Eyed Jack' and 'Lady Fair' out of the port crowd consisting of the press, authorities, and the possible element of the dangerous sort.  Dietfried Baugainvilla had the best laid plans for their safety.
     After leaving the boat where no one met them, Dietfried gave the three nautical cadets their leave.  They all three saluted him and remained saluting until he turned and walked away, back to where Violet and Gilbert waited.
     Gilbert marveled at Dietfried's motorcar, surely the latest model of luxury sedans available.  It was Violet who boldly lifted the side panel so that both she and Gilbert could inspect the inner workings of the motor.
     "Well, are you two going to get in or just study that motor all day?" Dietfried growled, but with a grin.  He slipped in behind the steering wheel.  "Come, others are waiting for you at the mansion."
    Indeed there were others waiting.  Claudia Hodgins, former Lieutenant Colonel of the Leidenschaftlich army, but now the president of CH Postal Company met Gilbert getting out of the car and draped an arm about his shoulders,  just like in the old days. With him was (an obviously pregnant)  Cattleya Baudelaire-Hodgins.  Violet was informed of the impending birth weeks ago when Cattleya had written saying that she and the President were now  married and expecting.  She was not so transparent of which happened first. . .
     "Oh, Violet!!" Cattleya cried, hugging Violet warmly to her.
     "Hello, Cattleya," said Violet, taking in the older woman's perfumed hair and skin, her protruding pregnant belly against hers.  Violet felt her heart lurch at the thought of a baby being there that was half of this beautiful, raven haired woman and the man who had so graciously given  her a job and a space to live.
     The two women held onto one another a moment longer, then Cattleya pulled back a little
     "We have much to talk about, yes?" She said, noticing Violet's eyes focusing on her belly.  Violet nodded shyly, her cheeks flushed with emotion. 
     Cattleya linked arms with Violet as they headed into the Baugainvillea stately home.  "Well, when you have questions, I'll have answers."
     The mansion was just as Violet remembered, vast and beautifully decorated under the gentle guidance of Gilbert and Dietfried's mother.  One area, however, heavy double doors were roped off with a sign nearby saying 'Do Not Enter'. It was a sign Violet had often seen in hospitals.  She stopped and stared at it.  The others soon joined her.
     "A makeshift surgical suite," said Dietfried simply enough.
     Gilbert's mouth fell open.  "The surgery will be HERE?"
    "Yes, the suite was set up throughout the week with all the needed equipment." Dietfried replied.  Gilbert still stared at him in disbelief, to which Dietfried shrugged. "Dr. Bashey's nephrew's wife gave birth to two healthy twin boys. . . So, a further show of appreciation."  Dietfried consulted the nearby grandfather clock. "The doctor should be here before long, but the procedure will not begin for another three hours.  Remember, no eating nor drinking, Gilbert."
     "Not since yesterday evening."
     "Good."
     Violet took Gilbert's hand reassuringly.  He had been too nervous to eat, anyway.  They were then shown to their quarters, where their luggage had already been brought.
     "I am supposing Dietfried saw no point in giving us separate sleeping quarters after how he found us on the ship."
     "If it troubles you, I can-"
     "It does not," Gilbert interrupted. He opened the room's one of two wardrobes. It was full of his clothes from before the war.  "My brother thought of everything." He took out a practically new pair of trousers. "I know I haven't grown any taller, but am not back up to my former weight.  Surely they will still work with suspenders."
     Violet opened the other wardrobe.  It was full of clothing for herself.  Cattleya must have had a hand in all this.  "We have lovely friends." she commented, touching the frocks so similar in style to her own.
     Gilbert agreed, stepping behind her and wrapping his left arm around her narrow waist. She felt the warmth of his body and a soft kiss just behind her right ear. 
     "I wish to visit your mother's grave." Violet said. 
     "I thought you might.  I wish to visit also."
     Violet nodded. "Thank you." she whispered.
                                       *     *
     Dr. Bashey was no stranger to Violet.  He had surgically attached her arms TWICE.  The second time brought forth much grumbling, for the prothesis of both arms had been ripped to bits, but afterward Dr. Bashey was rather elated that he was able to revise the old pair into a smoother moving model. 
     "And now it is your turn, my boy," the portly, little doctor said.  "It is good to have Violet to assist in therapy.  She knows how to properly maintain the prothesis. . . Except when she decides to destroy them." He said this with an impish grin and without malice.
     His surgical team consisted of the same skilled staff who had reattached Violet's arms and had also sworn to great secrecy of their task.  Again, Dietfried thought of EVERYTHING, all in the name of correcting past wrongs.
    No one was allowed near the makeshift surgical suite as Gilbert was prepped to go inside.  Violet held his hand til the last possible moment.
     He was given a bit of nitrous oxide as a preliminary relaxation drug, which made him smile easily and his eye half close.  "I will see you when I wake, my darling Violet.  Try not to worry.  You've gone through so much more.  I love you."
     Violet nodded, trying to stay strong, but still slightly trembled. She leaned over and kissed his mouth, and then he was gone.
     Claudia Hodgins stood to the right of her as Cattleya stood on her left.
     "That room, you know, is far more sound that the mobile surgical units we had during the war." Claudia consoled her. "It still amazes me how you survived at all, Violet."
     "But," his wife interrupted, with a beautiful smile at her husband, "We ALL know that women can pull through ANYTHING. Isn't that right, Violet?"  She slipped a gentle arm around Violet's waist, turning her away from the closed  double doors still bearing the 'Do Not Enter' sign.