Chapter 18: the promise

After a long, tiring day when the sun starts to set, Ercole, his friends, and Maria go back to her place to hang out. "What a day it has been" says Maria "yeah, and you know, despite Luca almost ruining it, it was a pretty good day." Ercole says as the four of them head to her room. But they were not prepared for what Maria was about to say. "So how long are you guys going to be staying in Portorosso?" All three of them looked at each other afraid, because they were supposed to sneak out tonight, it was apart of the plan. "W-well, umm..." Ercole tries to come up with an excuse, but for some reason, could not because the people have been so nice and caring of him and his friends, plus, he liked to be around Maria. "Maybe we could at least stay for one more day" Guido looked to him as if he's lost his mind and didn't care about going home anymore. "Hey Ercole, can I talk to you downstairs?" he said, trying not to lose it with him and blow their cover if it happens. Ercole realizes that Guido wanted to go home last night, but he wanted to stay a little longer. So the both of them went down stairs, and the second they were alone, Guido has had it. "Are you crazy? What do you mean you want to stay here longer?" Ercole tries to find a good reason as to why "but Guido, the humans have been so nice to us." He then reminds him once more of why it's not a good idea to be in this town. "Yeah, because they don't know that we're not human!" he groans in frustration "what if you accidentally spill water on yourself and Maria sees your scales? Do you think she'll just brush it off and not say anything? hm?" He continues "and what about that land monster, Luca? He said "see you soon" not to me, not to Ciccio, or Maria, to YOU!" He goes on "and he knows that we're sea monsters..." he becomes fearful "I'm scared for you Ercole, I-I don't want to lose you" he looks down at the floor for a moment before looking up again "actually there's something I've been wanting to tell you for a while now, I just didn't have the courage to do it...but I think I'm ready." Ercole wasn't prepared for what he was about to say as Guido takes a deep breath "you're like the father I've always wanted." Silence sinks in the room, then believing he made a mistake, tries to apologize, afraid he would be mad for calling him a parental figure he lost to the hands of evil humans. "I-I'm Sorry I shouldn't have said that I-" his sentence was cut short suddenly, when he felt A warm embrace "Ercole?" He asked confused as to why he didn't yell at him for saying it. Then he said with a proud voice "you have no idea how long I've waited for you to say that...son." And puts both his hands on his shoulders "you'll never be alone, I will always be right beside you and Ciccio for as long as I live." Guido looks down, then back up and said "promise?" Ercole thinks about it, scared for his own life too, but hides his fear with a smile "promise." Guido smiles, hugs him, and cries silently. "I love you dad" He hugs him in return "I love you too" but the three haunting words of Luca start to ring in his ears and looked up to see the imagination of him staring With those cold, heartless, sinister eyes "leave us alone...please" he pleaded and squeezes his eyes shut in fear, then opens them and he was gone.