15

Conflicted

=-=-=-=-=

"N-No...I stained her body...this isn't what I wanted..." Morax grieved as he stared at the river with the body of his love but with the gaze of himself.

"Curse these gold eyes...! Alma...please forgive me..."

><><><><

"Those ocean eyes, how I've missed them so," Zhongli said as he caressed your cheeks, which you let his hands engulf you.

"How have things been, Morax? This city you built is amazing," you said. You missed him so much, and you can sense how much he feels the same.

Before he replied, your two companions came along with a tall woman. You observed her. She was carrying a refined and elegant aura. It was similar to someone you'll never forget even if you wanted to.

"What is Guizhong doing here? Are you governing this city together, Morax?" you asked. You felt the consultant hesitate as he removed his hand on your face. "Morax...?"

"Ahem, allow me to introduce-"

"Ningguang. Tianquan of Liyue. We meet again, Diana."

Aether butted in as he cleared his throat, "Lady Ningguang, this is Alma. She is the Unknown Goddess in Liyue's myths."

"The townspeople might've heard me and Guizhong talk about Alma a while back," the consultant thought as he sighed. 

Remember, you're still outside the parlour, so people were staring. The Ferrylady, who just arrived, motioned all of you to enter. Before Zhongli was able to follow you inside, he got pulled away by white-haired woman.

"I know what's inside your heart, Morax. You will not get away with loving two women at once," she threatened as he stared back at her, as if he knew nothing of what she was talking about.

"Tianquan, I hope you will not forget that this relationship is contractual. Since I have found Alma, the contract has now ended," the consultant coldly says as he leaves Ningguang. He thought Ningguang had no memories of her past life as Guizhong nor did he confess anything to the dead Goddess. But for some reason, he couldn't forget what the Tianquan said.

Before he could tell her to leave, you called for the two from inside the establishment. You can see how much of a gentleman the love of your life is by the way he led Ningguang inside. You felt a thorn in your heart, but the eagerness for his answer overcomes it.

"My, if it isn't Lady Ningguang! What brings you here in the Wangsheng Funeral Parlour? Will you be accepting our latest promo-"

"Pleased to see you too, director. I am here because of a wanted individual. I heard she worked here. Looks like my luck has yet to run out," the white-haired woman said as she turned to you. "I hereby sentence Alma, alias Diana and Anna, for attempted manslaughter against the entirety of Liyue Harbour. As someone who was once an acquaintance, Yanfei will be your lawyer."

><><><><

"You cannot do this Tianquan! She was manipulated and you know it!" Zhongli said as he pulled her hand to face him, fuming with anger.

"I am the Tianquan of Liyue and you are nothing but a consultant of a good-for-nothing director of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlour. You are nothing near to your God days. You are now under me, Zhongli," she says coldly as she tugged her arm away from him. "The Millelith are waiting outside. They will escort you to Yanfei."

The air was heavy. You, however, could not understand the weight of her words. What did you do so wrong to have been accused to this extent? And by the reincarnation of Guizhong no less? Was it out of jealousy? Anger? Envy?

"I understand. Then, Aether, Paimon, Morax, I'll get going first," you said nonchalantly but your companions stopped you immediately.

"This isn't fair and Paimon knows you know it! Why are you doing this?" The floating girl said as she held your arm. To avoid any more arguments and oppositions, you calmed them both down.

"Alma, you don't have to do this." You looked at Zhongli whose eyes were brimming with tears. It was a first seeing him cry. He didn't even cry when you first died, so why now?

"C'mon now. Wipe those tears off your eyes, my love. Please wait for me," you said as you smiled, the widest most genuine smile you could muster, to make him calm down. It was the only thing you could do, really, as Ningguang handcuffed you using geo.

"Does she really think some geo cuffs could stop me? I was Morax's sparring partner for Archon's sake."

The stares as you walked outside of the parlour and to this so-called Yanfei was uncomfortable. To think they were once the humans who loved you for being the only God to be close to humans. Now they judge you silently with stares as if they knew what was going on. They don't, of course. Though, you can feel the curiosity in their souls.

"My, it's been a while, Alma."

=-=-=-=-=