9

Protect

=-=-=-=-=

"That's a topic for another time, Ningguang. I see he chose Guizhong..."

"Chose Guizhong?" Paimon asked while Ningguang anticipated for you answer. You waved your hand, telling them it's nothing and to get on with the main topic. They sighed in defeat as they talked about Aether and Paimon's deeds in Mondstadt and how Ganyu sense a mysterious energy as you entered Liyue.

"Come in, I'll show you the files inside," she said as she motioned us to follow her. Now that you've seen her for a much longer time than the Rite of Descension, it's as if you're seeing a Geo Guizhong in front of you. You couldn't help but feel...jealous.

"That should've been me. If only those other puny Gods at least killed the Khaenri'ahns for their souls to reach afterlife, I would've been with Morax-"

"Diana? Hello?" Aether said as he waved his hand in front of your face. You smiled, continuing to walk as if nothing happened. You couldn't get Guizhong's figure out of your head whenever you stare at Tianquan. She was stunning and she fits Zhongli's taste.

"I'd like to split these between the two of you. There has been Fatui movement and it's very suspicious."

"Aren't the Fatui always suspicious?" Paimon side-commented, making Ningguang stifle a laugh. She handed you each a file containing the details on the whereabouts and activities they've been doing on site. You scanned the document and you finally saw the location.

"Where is Dihua Marsh?" you asked as Aether and Paimon replied to you.

"Oh! Paimon knows! We were supposed to meet with Mr. Zhongli there for the Rite of Parting, but I guess you'll beat Paimon into it. Stay safe, Diana!" she waved as they headed out first, leaving you and Ningguang together. You looked away, pretending to admire the furniture, when she tapped your shoulder, making you flinch.

"I believe we can talk about it now, Diana."

You cleared your throat and replied, "Of course, Ningguang. So this is what happened..."

You shared her the same lie you made to Zhongli - you were a soul vision holder. Your God was the unknown God Alma, God of Souls. You told her how you inherited some of Alma's memory fragments. Although she is the Tianquan, you don't know if you can trust her. She may be also Guizhong's reincarnation for all you know. You cannot trust the "Gods can't reincarnate" anymore, considering you are reincarnated yourself.

"...and that's all from me. Do you have any questions?" you finished as she just nodded. You stared at her wide-eyed as she stood up from her seat.

"I know you have a reason for not revealing the truth, and it's ok. Maybe there were some truths, but I do not care for now since it would eventually be revealed. I just want you to inform you that Zhongli chose me for me, and not for being Guizhong's reincarnation. Good luck on Dihua Marsh, traveler." 

Just as you were about to leave, Ningguang spoke again, "Dihua Marsh is near Luhua Pool and Guili Plains. Safe travels." You nodded a you thanked her and left the Chamber.

"Diana, huh..."

><><><><

You were lucky for your memory modification since you didn't have to fight the Fatui Agents and Skirmishers. You made them lead you to your target as you detect a very familiar energy. You commanded the Fatui members to leave as you followed the energy.

"Aren't these Sigils of Permission? And a whole lot of them. I doubt Morax would get involved in this, but how did they infuse these with energy similar to his?" you pondered until a hand grabbed your shoulder. You stopped, thinking it was another Fatuus, when a sudden gush elemental energy transfers to you.

"Speak of the devil. Zhongli, you can stop now," you said as you heard him snicker from behind. You suddenly flinch, realizing it's not him. "Why are you here, Ajax?"

He laughed and grabbed your hand, making you turn to him. He had a psychotic look on his face and his killing intent was exuding off of him that even his soul looks dark.

"Well, well. What do I have here? Little Goddess Alma. We can't have you ruining the surprise now, do we?" he said as yanked you away from the sigils, making sure you didn't take one as evidence. "Unless you want Rex Lapis to find you, I suggest you come with me quietly and pay me back your 'debt'."

You hesitated. It's advantageous for Morax to appear right now but you also want to avoid the aftermath of your meeting. It may be really petty for you to ignore him for this long but you just don't know what to say when you meet him. Do you say hi? I'm back? Pretend to have no recollection of the past and ask who he is? And would be able to actually say the script the moment you see him? His familiar eyes, his energy, and your longing for his presence.

"Lead the way, Childe."

><><><><

"Stay away from the Exuvia, Childe," you warned as he took a step closer.

"Relax, I won't do anything to it just yet. We are waiting for a very important guest, so why don't you take care of the measly guards for me? Take it as part of the contract," he smirked as you gritted your teeth.

"This isn't a fucking contract, this is blackmailing. How dare you toy me like this?"

Some minutes pass and the gate finally opens. You see Aether and Paimon enter and look around. You see Childe smile at you, signaling you to stay put and not interfere.

Just as the two came closer to the Exuvia, Childe appeared from behind as you let the events unfold. It's the most crucial part you've been waiting for – his reason to come here.

"You're after the Gnosis inside the Exuvia, aren't you!"  Paimon shouted at him as he shrugged.

"Everything I do is for Tsaritsa. I also have a separate motive in mind, and you're in my way," he said you start harboring emotions of anger and frustration. Was there are a way to prevent this from happening? Would breaking the contract and summoning Morax have been the right path? Were you too selfish? Were you too selfless for trusting humans to change?

"And don't be such a hypocrite, traveler. Don't you also wish for the same? The demise of the Gods who knows of your sister's whereabouts but they wouldn't tell you? Instead, they let you do the dirty work without receiving anything in return. Don't you want them to pay? And that Goddess who's always with you. Aren't you getting swept up with her issues too?"

"I–"

Your breathing becomes unstable. Tears threatened to leave your eyes but you quickly regained control over them. Did he really think about all of that? Did I involve him unknowingly without even asking his opinions?

"That's not true–"

"Enough," you said out loud as your energy oozed, making the air heavy. It wasn't uncommon for the humans to grow weak when exposed to your energy since they can only handle a certain amount of elemental energy.

You quickly teleported closer to the Exuvia than Aether as you casted a barrier towards them, which made them stumbling back and getting blown away.

"Finally! The monster of old times has awoken! I have succeeded, Tsaritsa!"

=-=-=-=-=

The chaps are gradually getting longer omg