2. Wintery Trip to Finland

Thailand, Mexico or at least the Canary Islands ... the main thing is sun, t-shirt weather and far away from the hustle and bustle of Christmas and slush. Many travelers use the Christmas and New Year holidays to flee to distant countries. For me and my closest friends, however, it did not go to a warm country, but to Finland!

Well ... Finland is not that far away, I only saw the sun once during my 2.5-week winter road trip, T-shirt weather was at most in front of the fireplace and I wouldn't necessarily describe my trip as an escape, because actually I really like the Christmas season in Germany. But I was looking after a real winter wonderland, after peace and quiet, after a decent wood-fired sauna and a cozy place where I can read my books. In short: after everything you could want for a relaxed end of the year with my closest friends.

Seeing Finland in winter has been on my wish-list for ages, especially after I was there two years ago for a short visit in January. That's why I took a lot of extra time and started my journey  with my friends north without any big plans or goals. In the following paragraphs I will tell you about some of the stops we made there.

Cross-country skiing in Ruka-Kuusamo

Ruka at the Arctic Circle is one of the most popular winter sports areas in Finland and there is a corresponding rush for equipment rentals during Christmas week. For a long time I have wanted to finally get back on cross-country skis and there is probably no better place to do it than Finland = the country where practically every inhabitant learns this sport as soon as they can run.

Hiking in the Oulanka National Park

The dipper repeatedly dives into the ice-cold water just before the rapids of the Oulankajoki. The days are short and the animals that hibernate up here at the 66th parallel have to use every minute of it to absorb the energy so necessary in this cold. When I see her, I pull the zipper of my jacket a little further up, so to speak, my version of the highly insulating and impregnated plumage of the dipper.

Christmas in Finland

The campfire crackles, the Christmas tree illuminates the inside of the wooden house just as much as necessary and outside the snow falls incessantly from the sky in small flakes. In one hand a cup of Glöggi, the Scandinavian version of our mulled wine, garnished with raisins and almonds in proper style. In the other hand the obligatory book. At some point I break the tranquility for a walk in the snow-covered forest of the small island in a frozen lake where I spend the holidays. Only to return afterwards, to see the red house and to know: Nowhere would I prefer to be right now.

Husky sledding in Lapland

I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical when husky sledding was on the program during my first visit to Finland in winter as part of a press trip. Too great a concern that animals are not being kept properly and / or treated incorrectly for human entertainment. Johanna, the owner of the husky farm not far from the Syöte National Park, quickly dispelled these concerns during the briefing. And at the latest when she tells us about her work and the dogs with shining eyes after the toboggan tour over tea and biscuits in the tipi, it becomes clear that nothing would be further from her than harming her dogs or forcing them to do something that she does not want to do. You can also tell the dogs themselves are satisfied and enthusiastic about the run before the sled.

Standing on such a sledge and racing through the wintry landscape is definitely a pretty great experience. And it's not difficult either, because the dogs know the route exactly and run almost "by themselves". All you have to do is hold on tight and apply the brake with your foot if the dog is slowing down or should slow down. The bigger challenge is to say goodbye to these beautiful animals after the tour, who up here in the icy cold of northern Finland, unlike many other of their kind, are allowed to lead a life that meets their needs.

Visit to a reindeer farm

In Lapland there are almost as many reindeer as there are residents and the animals are still an important source of income for the people of the far north (although not as important as in earlier times). Many of them roam the countryside wildly all year round and are only rounded up two or three times a year to count and mark them. In the north of Finland you can meet the animals almost everywhere. And in some places you can even get really close to them.

Traveling Finland in winter is wonderful, and not only because of the classics like northern lights and husky sleds, but is definitely a winter wonderland too!