He winked again, bent to brush her lips with a quick kiss, then took the plate back to Selig while she turned to fix one for Aislinn. Sif nudged her with a shoulder. “I take it the two of you are making up for lost time?”

“We’re like bunnies right now.” At Sif's puzzled look, McKenna chuckled. “We’re making up for lost time.”

After fixing a plate for Aislinn, McKenna and Sif both made their way to the table and McKenna sank next to Loki. “So, what’s the plan for today?”

Selig popped a blueberry into his mouth. “Do I have to do lessons today, Daddy?”

“I think we can give you and your sister a pass today.” Loki peered at her over Aislinn's head. “What do you think, love?”

“I think it’s a good idea. I’d like to take today just for us.”

Loki nodded. “I have to sit down with the Allfather and Thor, but when I’m finished, I’m all yours.”

Her heart did a funny little skip and her stomach twisted. “Sit down with them for what?”

“Nothing you need worry about. Just discussing where and when the Infinity Stones are going when they leave here.”

Sif sipped her juice. “You aren't going to be transporting them, are you?”

That knot in McKenna's stomach grew tighter, even as Loki shook his head. “No. The Allfather will not send me. On the off chance Thanos does decide to try to exact revenge, he’ll have to come find me first.”

McKenna looked over at him. “What are the chances of that happening?”

“Here? Slim to none. They’d be slightly better on Midgard.” He shook his head, lifting his hand from Aislinn's leg to rest on hers. “But you’ve nothing to worry about, love. He isn't going to trouble with me. He’ll be too busy trying to retrieve the stones again.”

“Well, what if he finds them? Are you going—”

He cut her off. “No. I’m not, so don’t even worry about that.”

She couldn’t hold back her sigh of relief. “Thank God.”

“You’ve nothing to worry about, McKenna. I promise you.”

“I’m holding you to this promise, you know.”

He smiled. “I know.”

She sighed softly, nibbling at the pastry Sif had given her. In the span of a few minutes, it went from buttery and delicious to dry and dusty. She set it back on the plate and wiped her hands on a napkin before reaching for her coffee.

Loki gave her thigh a gentle squeeze. “I’m not leaving Asgard again, McKenna. Not unless we are going home.”

“I’ve heard that before.” She stood up. “Excuse me.”

“Mommy, what’s wrong?” Selig asked.

“Nothing’s wrong, sweetie. I just need some air.” She ruffled his hair and skirted the other diners as she strode toward the promenade.

It was a beautiful day in Asgard, with plenty of sunshine and the breeze held just a slight crisp hint of autumn. In the distance, where the forest began, the treetops were already starting to turn. In a few weeks, they’d look like they were on fire, ablaze in glorious shades of orange, yellow, and red.

Beyond those woods rose stark cliffs. Last year, Loki brought her to those cliffs and, despite her absolute terror of heights, brought her to the edge to show her an amazing view of Asgard. He held her tight about the waist, assuring her he’d not let her fall. Her heart pounded, her pulse pounded through her temples and it took every bit of willpower to force her eyes open.