"This is Freya, your baby cousin."

His steps were hesitant, gently he reached out his hand. His movements halt, his hand trembled slightly. He shouldn't taint her.

A warm sensation wrapped around his fingers, his hand that was withdrawing stilled. Baby Freya looked at him with those big round eyes, her lips tugged up, "Bwobwo?"

"She's calling you." Andrew chuckled. "I told her that she'll be seeing her brother. It seems like she likes you."

Luca's eyes widened. He felt his heart tightening as a surge of warmth wrapped around it. Did he deserve her fancy?

"I may not be a good father but I'm sure you'll be a good older brother."

"...I'll try my best."

Time flew by and both of them grew, Luca had to go to the academy. Honestly, he hated the academy. It took away the time he could spend with Freya.

He would get excellent grades, be polite just to make the teachers trust him...and then he'll ask for leaves using random reasons just to visit Freya.

Such days like today were his favorite, but what he feared most...happened. The teenage boy stood rooted to the ground, he felt his heartbeat accelerating as if it would explode.

"My lady, you shouldn't get too close with his highness."

"Brother Luca? Why?" Freya continued sucking on her lollipop.

"His mother was killed by him. I don't want that to happen to your highness."

Luca could only hear his thundering heart. Will those eyes look at him with hatred? No, that can't happen...he'll go crazy. She can't know. She was his hope...she was his Freya...she can't leave him. He needed her! But...he also wanted to see how she'll react...

"...Brother Luca won't hurt me. He never will." She smiled sweetly. "But nanny, if you keep saying things that hurt brother Luca, I might hurt you."

Those innocent eyes sent chills down the nanny's spine. The sincerity in her voice...she meant what she said. A child of a predator will never be prey.

"Freya will forgive you this one time because you were worried about her." She added as her eyes went back to normal.

"Yaya." Luca's voice entered her ears, she brightened immediately.

"Brother Luca, you're here." Freya let go of the nanny's hands and rushed over into his embrace. She pouted, "You're late."

"I'm sorry." He kissed her cheeks. Luca's scarlet eyes met with the trembling nanny's, he didn't say anything but his message was relayed.

"Tell my uncle that Freya's with me." He picked Freya up and headed to the garden.

"Brother Luca, did you hear what she said?" Freya snuggled into the crook of his neck. "Don't lie."

"...en"

This little cousin of his was very sharp, she was only four years old but her sixth sense was incredibly accurate.

"Do you think I'm cursed? Do you think my mother dying after child labor is my fault?"

"I don't know. But if brother Luca's mother has to die for you to be here...then Freya thinks it's worth it."

Freya cupped his cheek, "So stop trembling, Freya will always love brother. I need brother, so don't deny your existence."

For years, some told him it was not his fault but those were just white lies.

Maybe because Freya's a child, she was able to say those bold words...but those words pierced his heart. No one told him he was needed.

"Don't cry...was it because I bad-mouthed auntie? I'm sorry." The child in his arms panicked as she also became teary. "Brother Luca, Freya's sorry so don't cry."

For the first time in ten years, tears trickled down the cheeks of the fourteen-year-old boy who had been persisting. He rested his head on Freya's shoulder. She was his salvation.

In the end, Freya started sobbing. A child was a child, she was confused and distressed. Why was her precious brother crying?

"Yaya, don't cry." Luca coaxed as he pressed his forehead against hers.

"B-but brother's crying." She sniffled.

"Okay, okay. I won't cry, so don't cry. I'll feel sad if Freya cries."

"Really? B-but Freya can't stop crying." She choked. Luca could only rub her back in circular motions to calm her down. There was no time for him to continue crying.

After her tears stop flowing, she showed Luca her sticky hands, "Brother, I want to wash my hands."

"The lollipop melted huh. Let's go, after that, I'll give you another one."

Luca sighed, how nostalgic. Ten years have passed since then. His eyes softened subconsciously, making his students more curious. Their professor could make that type of face?

Before they could ask, a knock came from the door. The pink-haired girl poked her head out, her eyes were curved into a gentle arc.

"It seems like my braiding skills improved, it remained the same as this morning." 

Such a beauty...she didn't seem like a student. When Luca saw her, his whole person lit up. His gentle voice made the students shiver, "My Yaya, what are you doing here?"

Freya walked over and looked at him silently. Luca felt inexplicably nervous, did he do something wrong? A satisfied smile crept upon her face, teasing her cousin was still very pleasant.

"Brother Luca, you're late so I came to pick you up. Did you forget tomorrow's my debutante?" She hugged him and sulked.

Since her whispers went unheard by the whole class, the whole situation seemed ambiguous. Their professor even wrapped his arms around her!

"Of course not. The class has ended, I'll go take my things from the office." His voice was filled with indulgence. He glanced at the class, "You guys are dismissed."

"...professor is she your-"

"I'm his lover." She finished the sentence with a smile.

Luca sighed helplessly and said nothing. Making mischief again...

"Honey, were you keeping it a secret?... Did you want to cheat on me?" Freya covered her mouth with her hands, tears were on the verge of spilling. "Men are all liars! You said you'll love only me. Hic*"

"No, no, the professor is very loyal!"

"We'll keep an eye on him for you!"

"Miss, we'll make sure he stays faithful."

The teary-eyed Freya, "Thank you, you kids are so thoughtful."

Now she's calling people older than her kids? Luca felt a headache coming. He directly princess carried her, "Yaya, let's go. We'll be late."

"...bye-bye, I'll see you guys next time." Freya parted with them reluctantly. It was fun while it lasted.

He raised his brow, asking through his eyes: Was that fun?

Freya with her eyes curved: Yup!

Who asked him to pamper her that much? Now, she feared nothing. But his heart still went soft. He pecked her forehead,

"Okay okay, as long as you're happy."