Chapter 5

"Hjönk?"

"Yeah I'm with you Pard, what's a Familiar Showcase?"

"Grr... If you let me explain I'll tell you!" This was the current situation in Louise's room at the moment. She and Derflinger were constantly arguing about something while Anser was simply waiting for an explanation. Eventually, she calmed down and explained in detail what the Showcase entailed.

"So that's all fine and dandy but... he's a goose, Pinkie."

"Shut it! He was able to not only allow me to actually cast a spell for once but saved my life!"

"I helped!"

"I said shut it! I'm confident that Anser will come up with a plan for us, won't you?" The mage asked, looking towards her familiar.

"Honk."

"See! Full confidence!"

"That was an 'I'll see' honk, not an affirmative honk."

"I'LL DROWN YOU IN A VAT OF ACID YOU NO-GOOD PILE OF SCRAP METAL!"

"Hjönk!"

"I-eh?" Anser had started tugging at Louise's skirt, getting her attention. "What is it, Anser?" He then picked up Derf, causing the runes on his wing to light up softly.

"Wa-hey! What're you planning, Pard?" Anser then started some rather elaborate sword tricks, impressing his master. After he was done, she started clapping wistfully. Derf however...

"Bleeehhh..."

"How are you nauseous, Derf? Aren't you just a sword?"

"A sentient sword. Sentient. As in, I feel things too! And oh boy my shaft is hurting like crazy..." Anser made a noise that sounded like a silent snicker, much to his ire. "Shut up! As much as I like them, it is NOT an innuendo!"

"A-You know what, nevermind. I'm confident that Anser will pull through for the showcase. He's proven capable in the past, I'm sure he can show the judges how impressive he is. Especially..."

"Honk?"

"Speak up Pinkie. You trailed off there."

"The Princess! She's showing up as well!"

"Oh, well that's not pressuring at all..."

"Oh hush up! I know you two will do fine. Just don't make any noises during the showcase and you'll be good to go, Derf."

"No promises." The girl and the sword bickered for a bit longer before heading off into bed. It would've been a simple night before the big day, but Anser wanted to mess around a bit more. So when she and Derf were both asleep, he quietly made his way out of the room. Or he would've had a hooded figure not been behind the door when he opened it. The two of them looked at each other for a second before Anser took initiative.

"Honk?"

"Er... hello? I wish to see Louise Valliere if she's here." Anser instinctively fell into a defensive stance, to which the hooded figure raised up her hands frantically. "W-Wait! I'm not here to hurt her or anything! She's actually a good friend of mine, I'd call her my best friend. Honest!" Anser looked doubtful of the hooded person's claims yet he reluctantly let her in the room. And while she wasn't looking, he carefully picked up Derf, who silenced himself almost instantly.