Brother- Kylo Ren/Ben Solo

Start from the beginning

"Ben, please..." I whimpered. Behind me were the flames of what had been our Uncle's school. It was nothing more than rubble and rocks now. The bodies of the slain Padawans were likely burned beyond recognition at this point. Those who hadn't chosen to join him were quickly disposed of, except for me.

My brother stood before me. Blood splattered across his tanned skin and it sickened me to think that it was the blood of my fellow padawans- my friends.

"Lila." His voice was deep and restrained, as if he was trying not to lose his temper. "Come with me." He extended a hand in a welcoming gesture.

"You killed them," I whispered.

There was silence between us for a moment.

"It had to be done." Ben's gave was expressionless. Emotionless.

"It had to be done?" I repeated slowly. My shock quickly turned to anger. "You've destroyed the school! Everything Uncle Luke worked so hard to build. You've destroyed it and killed our friends!" Tears continued to pour from my eyes, blurring my vision. My entire body shook in contained sobs.

"He is holding us back!" Ben shouted. "We can be so much more! More powerful!"

I flinched at the tone of his voice. My brother had never yelled at me. Not once. Not even when we fought as children. It quickly set in that the man before me was no longer my brother.

He seemed to realize his mistake because when he spoke again his tone was softer, gentler. "Please... come with us."

———

The planet was cold. A gentle snow fell, coating the ground in a thick sheet of white. I had never seen snow before. On any other occasion I might've taken the time to play in it, maybe even start a snowball fight with Rey and Finn. But today there was no time to play or even admire the sparkly white snow.

Kylo Ren was there. I could sense him the second I stepped out of the ship. My boots crunched against the snow. It was eerily silent in the forest. There were no signs of life apart from our rag tag band of misfits.

I could hear another set of feet behind me. I didn't need to turn around to know who it was. She had been watching me like a hawk the entire flight. I didn't know if it was because she thought I was unstable or if she didn't trust me. Either way I didn't appreciate it. I didn't need to be looked after.

"Go back to the ship, Rey," I sighed.

"No," she replied stubbornly.

As I made my way into the forest I could hear the crunching of her own shoes in the snow close behind mine. She made it clear she wasn't going to give up. With a frustrated sigh, I brought myself to face her.

"I have to face my brother alone," I stated. "I can bring him back." I didn't want to say it, but I feared Rey's presence might ruin my chances. I didn't know what it was between them, but there was something going on. Something strange in the force. It would distract him. He could think I've brought her here to work against him, and I didn't want to give him a reason not to trust me.

"It's too dangerous," she insisted.

"My brother would never hurt me."

Rey sighed. There was a helpless look in her eyes. "You don't know that."

"Yes, I do." My tone was a little harsher than I expected, and it shocked even me. A guilt washed over me at the sight of Rey seemingly flinching at the sound of my voice. She had been a good friend over the course of these difficult months, especially since losing my father. She had stood by my side and this was the treatment I gave her in return for that unwavering loyalty.