Chapter 16: The Ex-Salaryman

Start from the beginning

"Plenty of jujutsu sorcerers are oddballs, but since he worked for a company, he's got a good head on his shoulders. He's a first-grade sorcerer, too." Gojou grinned, placing an arm around Nanami.

"I'm sure no one would want to hear you saying that about them," Nanami said blandly, subtly shaking Gojou's arm off his shoulder as he took off his glasses.

"Ex-salaryman? Why didn't you become a jujutsu sorcerer from the start?" Yuuji asked.

"We should greet each other first. Nice to meet you, Itadori, Mina."

"Oh, yes, nice to meet you too," Yuuji bowed. Mina nodded her greeting.

"I studied at Jujutsu Tech, and one thing I learned is that jujutsu sorcerers are shit!"

They both blinked at his sudden exclamation.

"Then I worked at your typical company, and one thing I learned is that work is shit!"

"If both are equally shit, I'll take the one I'm more suited to. That's the only reason I came back." Nanami sounded pessimistic about his prospects.

"That's dark," Yuuji whispered.

"Right?" Gojou whispered back while Mina just rolled her eyes at them.

"Both of you, please don't believe I'm of the same mindset as. Gojou. I do trust and have faith in him."

Gojou preened at that while Yuuji and Mina just grimaced at his narcissism.

"But I do not respect him!" Nanami finished. Mina snorted. That much made sense.

"I hate the way the higher-ups do things, but I believe in rules and regulations." Nanami straightened up and made for the exit.

"This conversation is dragging on. In short, I don't recognize you as a sorcerer, either," he said, looking at Yuuji. Mina noticed that he made no mention of her, not that she cared whether he acknowledged her ability.

She tuned out the conversation between Nanami and Yuuji.

Come to think of it, why was she called here?

As if reading her thoughts, Gojou draped an arm across her shoulders.

"Tag along with them and see if you find anything interesting." Mina shrugged his arm off.

I'll play along for now Gojou, but my patience is wearing thin."

She walked out to where Nanami and Yuuji were waiting, leaving a confused looking Gojou behind.

Gojou watched as Mina strode off, her coat billowing behind her, and frowned. He looked down at his hand, flexing it gently.

If he was not mistaken, when he had gone to put his arm around her, he had not made contact with her at all. It was as if there was a thin layer of resistance between them, practically unnoticeable. If it wasn't for the nature of Gojou's cursed energy, he wouldn't have been able to detect it.

Gojou's eyes widened a fraction behind his mask.

Was she mimicking his cursed ability?

He pondered over this. It was possible as it almost had the same energy signature as his infinity, but was she even aware of it?

If she truly had the power to mimic other people's abilities... that would be quite terrifying.

*** *** ***

"There wasn't anything on the surveillance cameras, right?" Yuuji asked as they climbed up to the roof of the cinema.

"Right. There was only one young man aside from the victims."