Chapter 4 - Tension

I just finished writing this chapter and realized how long it is. Never mind. I guess you won't complain about that, will you? XD

------------------

I could not quite read Rania's expression when Noaf and I returned, my bruises covered up. 

Noaf handed me some of the wrist bands everyone would get when they entered the festival.

Soon later it was dark outside and Noaf, Rania and I were handing out the bracelets.

"Nice hairstyle", I heard a guy complimenting Noaf.

"Thanks", she replied clearly not interested, not even looking up from attaching the bracelet to his wrist.

"You look like you're i na rock band or something like that. Are you?", he asked her.

She scoffed and shook her head.

Seriously, this boy was making my blood boil. How could anyone be so oblivious?

Suddenly Rania joined the scene. "Ahmad, sorry, I didn't see you. I was busy with those little kids", she chimed in.

"Hey there, babe", he greeted her.

Now I felt even more disgusted. Rania was his girlfriend and he did not bother to flirt with Noaf just a few feet away?!

"Hey", she greeted him back.

"So I was just getting to know your friend here", he declared and I definitely did not like the tone of his voice. Noaf was averting her eyes.

"Hey, Noaf! Could you help me out please?", I requested and took a hold of her arm to pull her over slightly.

"Sure", she agreed and followed me.

I could feel the eyes of the guy on us, while he was complimenting Rania. Creepy and pathetic in one go.

"That was gross", Noaf mumbled and started handing out more bracelets.

"Definitely. This guy has literally no shame", I added. "The only thing that was missing to make it even worse was a terrible pick-up line", I considered.

"Oh, yeah." Noaf chuckled. "Something like: Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk by again?"

I started laughing. "Yeah. Or Is it hot here or is it just you?", I suggested.

"If I said you had a nice body would you hold it against me?"

"If I could rearrange the alphabet I would put U and I together."

"I got lost. Can you give me directions to your heart?"

We could not stop laughing anymore until our eyes met and we stared at each other for a not exactly short moment.

Someone fake-coughed next to us to get our attention and give him a bracelet.

Had I just imagined the tension between Noaf and me? Probably. After all I was head over heels for her. So I should not trust my perception too much.

The last people were ready. So theoretically we were free to enjoy the festival ourselves now.

"So I'm gonna go to Mariam for the plan now. Are you in?", Noaf wondered.

I nodded and followed her to Dina's cookie stand.

Mariam apologized for something and Noaf told her to not do it again. I wondered what had happened between them and realized that their conversation I had seen must have been a discussion instead. Now I felt even more stupid for getting jealous.