1 - Something's coming

Thud! I am knocked out of a trance as i watch Bernardo hit the punching bag and send it flying across the room.
"Oh, doesn't he look hot like that." whispers Anita into my ear. I chuckle and roll my eyes at her childishness. Anita and Bernardo have a strange sort of relationship, constantly arguing but then constantly sneaking off into store cupboards or shop cellars.

I suppose it's love? I've never really been in love, father died last year and i've just felt numb. Mother never really got over it and eventually went back to Puerto, leaving me here. I think she wanted me to have a better life, I can't see what she sees here. New York is ok if you can afford it.  Us, living in a soon to be bulldozed apartment cannot. Everyone's lives dictated by crime, most often between the Jets and Sharks constantly at each others throats.

I don't really have a side, I would rather not get involved but I suppose you could call me a Shark? Being a mix between doesn't really get you many favours from the Caucasians, i'm seen as a mistake in their eyes. I was accepted by the Puertoriccans. They all loved mama, she was kind and looked out for everyone, i guess they see me as a way to repay their debts to her.

"Elle, you coming? The shop closes in 15?" Anita questions as Bernardo wraps up his hands and slings his boxing gloves over his shoulder.
"Yes, of course. Sorry dazed of for a second." I respond standing up from the bench and straightening out my yellow dress.
"Saria would be proud of you, you know. You've got a job, paying rent, living in New York." Anita exclaims looking at my face with sympathy.
"Yeah, New York, where you live like kings!" Bernardo exclaims sarcastically.
"It's not all the bad you know. I'm here after all." Anita chuckles reaching up and kissing Bernardo to which he responds passionately gripping her waist. I cough in the hope they pull apart but instead they carry on for another 10 seconds before they eventually detach from each other.
"Well, Elle the point is you cannot keep sulking and being down all the time. This is America! The land of opportunity, enjoy it." Anita gasps gripping my shoulders and gesturing to the tower blocks surrounding the boxing facility.
"I am not "down all the time" i actually feel something in my bones. something is going to happen i just know." I giggled.
Bernardo looks at me with dismay before grabbing Anita's hand.
"We'll see you tomorrow amiga for the dance." He sighs pulling away a scolding Anita.

I chuckle to myself before strolling along the street gazing up at the decaying tower blocks soon to be demolished into something nobody can afford. The sun is beginning to set and i clutch my purse tighter. Everyone knows the New York streets aren't safe. Not on the West Side for sure. I don't understand the whole territory situation. Why can't people just stick with what they've got, nobody poor can get anything else.

A whistle snaps me out of my thoughts. My head snaps around to the sight of a boy. About my age (19 or so) he dips his hat and starts to circle me his eyes raking down my body. I begin to feel self conscious and try to avoid his eyes. I spot a tattoo on his forearm and immediately recognise it to be a symbols for the Jets. Shit. Hopefully he hasn't seen me hanging around with Bernardo or i'm as good as dead.

"What's a pretty lady like you doing waking these streets at a time like this. It ain't safe." he taunts innocently a sneer forming and his lips curl.
"Um, i'm just on my way home m that's all." I almost whisper averting his eyes.
"I could walk you home, bet you got a bed we could share" he sneers stepping closer to my shaking body. I try to step back but he grabs my wrist. A try to wriggle myself out of his grip as his breath begins to coat my neck and before I know it he is sloppily kissing my neck. I begin to cry and are about to scream when a voice shouts.
"Oi, Tiger we got places to be leave the girl be."
The man steps away from me and laughs,
"oh come on Riff, we where just having some fun, ain't that right pretty lady?" I quiver and mumble something about wanting to go home.
"I said beat it!" The other boy bellows causing the boy to scramble away into an alley.
I slowly lift my head to meet the eyes of the boy who saved me.

agghh chapter 1 complete! aren't you just in love with Riff already. I'm so excited for this story. Please comment and vote for an update soon! Lysm

M x

Word count- 830