The Echo of Love

I first met her when we were still children, soaking up all the innocence and joys that young life left for us. It was early spring, and if you looked close enough you would see that a small part of winter remained, living in the dewdrops and frost in the shaded trees. You could only find it if you looked in the right places, but where she was dancing she would never have to see the frost that caved in on the spring flowers.

Her name is Empathia, and she was the light of my life. She lit a match and ignited my soul, and my love for her.

I could only dream of speaking with her, the words that would dance off of my tongue and she would fall for me too, I am certain of it. Her contagious smile and her laugh that rang through all the mountains left me feeling weak and sick with admiration. She was intoxicating, and I couldn't get enough.

She and her brother, Narcissus, have been coming here since they were very young and I was always watching them, watching her, and thinking of all the things I would say if I could be brave enough and come out to introduce myself or speak with her.

I can only dream of the conversations we would have had, the long, no-end-in sight ones where you can lose yourself in the person for hours at a time, just falling deeper and deeper into their trance. I know that we would have had ones like that. However, it was not that easy after the curse.

I no longer have a voice. My one talent, the one thing that would win her over, I lost. Helen stole it from me because she had distrust in her marriage, and she helped herself by stripping me of my voice, the one power that I had. I can only now repeat the last words that someone else has already spoken, so nothing I could say to Empathia would be new to her.

That was several months ago, and I haven't learned to accept my curse, but I have realized that I must live with it. I just remained there, behind the trees; Watching Empathia and her brother play in the pond and run through the flowering fields; Leaving me behind, with only the frost and dewdrops of last winter.

Last week Empathia and Narcissus did not visit the clearing in between the mountains that reached to the sky, and I do not know the reason. A few days later, Narcissus arrives looking completely devastated and broken, like half of his soul was missing. He walks to the center of the field, and weeps. His screams and hopeless sobs flood the sound of the valley with heartbreak, and I remain hidden, wishing to go out and comfort him.

Over the next few days, he returns again, without Empathia. He keeps showing up, crying in the field, and then leaving that evening. The flowers that were once so prominently bright in the field have begun to lose their color.

One of the days, Narcissus was so broken that I couldn't bear to watch in silence.

"Why?" He screams at no one, with a fiery tone in his voice, "Why did you take her?"

My stomach drops. No, he couldn't be talking about-

"Why?" He shrieks again, and he seems to melt down to the grass, like a flower in a storm.

I wished to speak with his sister, to figure out what was wrong, but I must try to help him now, alone.

Still hidden from sight, I shout back, "Why..." just to get his attention.

He sits up immediately and says, "Who's there?" accusation in his tone. When there is no response, he says, "I demand you come out where I can see you".

All I can manage to say is, "...see you."

He whips around again, wondering where the sound came from, and I cannot bring myself to step out from the woods. I remain there, waiting for him to speak and to find my voice again.