"Here."

Darry took one of her hands in his and gently rubbed a bar of soap against her hand. With soap in one hand and a washcloth in the other, he cleaned the blood off of her with a furrow between his brows.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Nothin'." But there was still a tight clench in his jaw and shoulders.

"Dare, please don't be mad at me."

His blue eyes lifted to look at her, finding wide brown eyes filled with worry staring back at him. He quickly shook his head as he dried her hands and then pulled her into him.

"Not you, sweetheart. Not mad at you."

She exhaled a breath of relief and then noticed that his eyes were locked on the russet stains on her sleeves and collar from when she had bent over Curly to patch him up. Caroline raised her hand to touch his cheek, pulling him out of whatever place his mind was at.

Darry grasped her hand and started walking down the hall towards his room. Caroline paused for a second. She had never been anywhere near his room, especially not alone with him. He glanced back at her and noticed the conflicting emotions on her face.

"You need new clothes," he explained.

"Oh." Caroline let him pull her into the small bedroom. It was exactly as she pictured it. Dark colors and faded sheets and no photos or memorabilia. You wouldn't even be able to tell it was his room. She ran her hand along the door frame as she took it all in. Darry had made his bed that morning, an old quilt providing a semblance of warmth resting on top of his checkered sheets. The furniture was worn and old and she understood that his parents had this room before.

"Here." He held out a worn, long sleeved shirt and a pair of sweats. Caroline held the shirt up to find their high school's name emblazoned on the front and CURTIS written on the back.

"You putting your claim on me?" she asked, tone lilting and light and dripping with mirth.

"I'd like to if you'd let me."

They stared at each other for a beat until he stepped back towards the door, his hand resting on the handle. Caroline offered him a small smile and waited for the door to shut before she pulled off her blouse and slid the faded grey shirt over her head. She practically swam in it, but she didn't mind. Not when the thick scent of Darry enveloped her.

She stripped out of her pants and folded her clothes neatly in a pile that she set on the dresser before she shimmied into Darry's pants. They hung low on her and she blushed as she pulled the strings taut to ensure it would stay up. She had never worn a man's clothes before and certainly not a man she was going steady with.

When Caroline joined the men in the living room, Darry and Tim stopped their discussion and looked at her. She held Darry's gaze for a moment and saw the hard look in his eyes.

"You're gonna have a rumble," she said decidedly.

"Yeah," he answered quietly, knowing full well that she hadn't asked a question.

Caroline nodded and set about picking up the mess in the living room. Tim cleared his throat and awkwardly avoided looking at the couple.

"Where'd you learn to patch someone up?" he asked.

"My ma's a nurse." She left it at that, gathering up the trash and heading outside to throw it out. Footsteps followed her just as she expected and she waited for him to speak.

"I know you hate it."

"Hate what, Darry? Y'all goin' out there and gettin' the shit knocked outta you? Yeah, I'd say I'd hate it."