twelve

The rough wooden pew creaked underneath the Montgomery family the next Sunday. The pastor was droning on about how we need to pray for the men overseas in Vietnam and for the "unrest unraveling our good nation". Caroline wanted to scoff at his words. God wasn't sending those boys overseas. The government was.

The sermon ended and they had their final prayer, finally breaking for morning greetings and brunch. Caroline excused herself from her family and approached the front where the kneelers resided. Smoothing down the front of her skirt, she kneeled in front of the cross and bowed her head, clasping her hands. The words ran through her head and her lips moved silently before a soft, "amen" slipped out and then she stood. Turning around, Caroline nearly jumped out of her skin at the sight of Darry Curtis standing behind her.

"By gosh Curtis! You really do know how to scare a girl," she exclaimed, pressing a hand against her chest in an attempt to ease her racing heart.

"Sorry." He stifled a laugh. "Didn't want to interrupt you."

"First time I've seen you here," she noted.

"Yeah, I ain't had much time since my parents...I figured now would be just as good of a time as ever to come."

"Did Ponyboy and Sodapop come with?"

"They had a long night so I let 'em sleep in. Besides, it's nice to come here without havin' to worry 'bout them settin' fire to somethin' or 'nother."

She chuckled and nodded, the pins holding up her hair digging into the back of her neck. Helen required her to dress her best on Sundays so Caroline was shoved into a dress and jacket with heels pinching her toes and her thick hair pulled up into a bun with a cloche hat covering the top of her head.

Louise interrupted the two young adults by barreling straight into Caroline's legs, Teddy tottering close behind. Caroline let out a quiet groan of pain, staring down at her little sister's dark brown hair.

"Louise, can you say hello to Darry?"

The young girl glanced up shyly at the oldest Curtis and then tucked her face into Caroline's skirt. The cinnamon haired woman sighed and opened her mouth to apologize to Darry but he just shook his head with a smile. Squatting down to be on Louise's level, Darry offered his hand out to her.

"You might not remember me, miss. We met at the Dingo when your sister was workin'. I was hopin' your sister, brother, and you would be interested 'n comin' over for a bit? Sodapop's cookin' lunch. Only if it's alright with your sister."

Louise pulled away from Caroline, a grin spread across her face. She gripped his much larger hand and shook it, jutting out her chin with a look of determination in her eyes.

"We can go," Caroline agreed, running her fingers through Louise's hair. "Why don't you go an' grab Teddy. Darry and I'll be waitin' right here."

Louise dashed off, golden curls bouncing behind her. Darry stood, taking a place next to Caroline.

"She looks like you," he acknowledged. "Other than the hair."

"You think? I don't see it."

"Your eyes," he said, softer this time. Caroline turned her head to face him, the sunlight peeking through the windows of the church dancing along her skin. She seemed to glow in the daylight, the shine matching the twinkle in her eyes.

"They're my father's," she said, her tone clipped.

"Nah." He shook his head. "Never met the man, but I know they're yours."

A brilliant smile split across her face and she nodded in thanks.

"Caroline Marie!" her mother hollered, making everyone in the near vicinity turn to watch the two Montgomery women.

"Don't make a scene," Caroline growled, walking towards her. Helen gripped her arm and yanked her in close.

"Don't tell me what to do, I am your mother. You will certainly not be taking Teddy and Louise to that damn gang household, you hear me? I ain't gonna let you make them hoods and whores by bein' 'round them boys."

"And you ain't gonna tell me nothin'. I'm a damn adult. I don't have to be helpin' you but I am because you're family."

"Naw, you're here because you ain't got no place else to go. Can't get a real job and can't marry off."

"Keep your damn hands off of me. We're going an' that's final."

The younger woman ripped her arm free from her mother's grasp and quickly grabbed her sister and brother's shoulders, marching them back to Darry. He shot her a concerned glance but she simply shook her head and kept walking. He looked back at her mother and felt a rush of heat rise in his chest. Moving closer to Caroline, he placed himself between her and her mother as they walked.

"Sometimes I feel guilty for growin' 'em up here. It's dangerous with gangs and hoods and Socs ready to jump 'em, but then I see how happy they are and... y'know?" Caroline sighed, sipping on some sweet tea as she stood next to him on the back porch. They watched the kids as they ran around outside. What started as a friendly game of football turned into Soda and Steve gently tackling Teddy and Louise to the ground while Two Bit and Ponyboy tried to save them. Laughter echoed through the sky as they played under the fading sunlight.

"This different from Texas?"

"Yeah...I didn't really get to go outside of the home in Houston. I love Tulsa. It feels so much more...free."

"Couldn't get out much?" he asked, casting a glance over at her. Her lips pulled into a tight line and she nodded, rich hickory eyes following the movements of her siblings.

"My father didn't like us goin' out a lot. I only went to school an' back." The sharpness of her tone cued that she didn't want to speak about it much, so he decided to change the subject.

"Why the Dingo? I figured you'd go to college."

"Can't afford it. Don't even know what I'd study. Do know I wanna open a bookstore or somethin', y'know?"

"Yeah, Pony said you like readin'."

"Stories take us outta the worlds we live in and help us see what life coulda been. Books got me through school. Whatta 'bout you? What'd you study?"

"Dunno. I was gonna go for football, but...you know what happened."

"I think you'll get there someday," Caroline said softly.

"Well, I better see you in class too," he teased.

"Just like old times?"

"Yeah, you kickin' my ass in class."

A bell-like laugh floated across the yard and Darry grinned. He turned to watch the kids just in time, swiftly catching the football they lobbed at him. Soda's hair was sticking up all over the place and Pony had mud streaked across his face, but they were smiling too.

"C'mon, join us!" Steve hollered.

"Steve Randle, I'm wearing a dress!" Caroline admonished.

"Aww, come on, Ma!" Two-Bit teased and she set her sweet tea down, wordlessly holding her hand out to Darry. The oldest Curtis placed the football in her hands and she smirked, lobbing it directly at Two-Bit who scrambled to catch it. The yard erupted into laughter when he fell over and Caroline winked at Darry, brushing imaginary dirt off her hands. He truly couldn't believe how amazing she was.