one

Most people went to the Dingo for its cheap yet decent burgers. Others went just to have a place to hang out with friends.

Darry Curtis didn't know exactly why he went. Maybe because it was cheap. Maybe because he was tired of the gang wrecking his house.

Maybe it was because of her.

The gal, no, the lady with hair like cinnamon and ruby red lips that seemed to be permanently pulled up into a smile. He was mesmerized by her grace as she slid along the slick floors in roller skates, acting as if she couldn't fall any second. The light blue uniform that clung to her slim form didn't seem like just a regular uniform when it was on her.

He had first noticed her when he was still a dumb teen and he and his football friends would come by the Dingo and harass the waitresses. She always kept the gentle smile dancing on her face even when they were buggin' her and that just made him feel like the biggest ass in the world. She was in some of his classes, but he never bothered learning who she was.

But now, he came to the Dingo to escape the craziness that was raising his two teenage brothers and the gang being a general nuisance. He didn't have much money, but he could afford a simple cup of black coffee and a few minutes to himself.

There was one day, though, that he just couldn't relax. It had been almost seven months since his parents died and money was tighter than ever. He was working harder than ever and the stress was getting to him.

He decided to pull into the parking lot of the Dingo and wait for the rain to pass because it was practically damn impossible to see past the sheets that were assaulting his windshield. He threw caution to the wind and sprinted inside, shaking off the excess water that was soaking his clothes. Sliding into one of the booths in the corner, he simply watched as the rain poured down.

Something about watching everything be washed away, all the dust and dirt, made something inside of him build. Darry Curtis did not cry, especially not in the goddamn public.

The clink of porcelain meeting plastic met his ears and his head snapped to the right, seeing a steaming cup of coffee in front of him. He faintly heard himself stammering out lame excuses of "I don't have any money" and "I'm just waitin' out the rain" when a hand landed on his own clenched fists.

"It's on the house," she said softly and he raised his eyes to meet hers. Icy blue clashed with molten brown and suddenly, he felt like melting right then and there under her stare.

"Thank you." His eyes darted to the badge that hung from the front of her uniform. "Caroline, thank you."

Without another word, she simply nodded and moved onto the next table, her skates leaving a slight hissing noise in the air as she floated across the floor.

He'd been coming here for so many years and just now decided to learn her name.