10 - Keep Your Friends Close

Start from the beginning

"She only told me enough to make it a secret." Spencer said.

"Alison liked secrets, huh?"

"She thought sharing secrets kept us close." Emily said.

"They do, but secrets are made to be found out with time." Agent Cooper said. "What about you, Katherine? She referred to you as the only mature one."

"We used to hang out with older boys. It could've been any one of them but I never saw them show any real interest in her." Katherine said, choosing to not bring Ian up.

"Because they were interested in you?" Agent Cooper asked.

"Yeah." Katherine said, looking down and wanting to leave the room.

...

"Hey, I heard you guys got called down to the office. Everything okay?" Noel said, walking up to Katherine and Aria.

"Yeah." Katherine said, giving him a small smile.

"There's a woman in town from the FBI and she just had a few questions about Alison." Aria said, opening her locker. But when it opened a book fell out.

"What's this?" Noel asked, picking the book up.

"I don't know." Aria said, making Katherine pay more attention.

"A wants you to read page twenty-two." Noel said, reading the sticky note on the front.

"Noel, I don't think-" Katherine tried to say but Noel had already flicked to the page.

"It's a poem by Ezra Fitz. B-26. It's a number. It's a song. It's a girl-" Noel said.

"Can I have that?" Aria asked, snatching the book from Noel's hands.

"Sure." Noel said. Aria walked away without another word leaving Noel confused. "What was that about?"

"Nothing. All the Ali stuff is just hurting her." Katherine lied.

"What about you?" Noel asked.

"I loved Alison but she could be a real bitch." Katherine said.

"And you can't?" Noel said, smirking at the girl he had grown so close to in the past sixteen years.

"Whatever." Katherine said, walking towards the cafeteria with him. After twenty minutes, Noel had gotten bored and wanted to wander the halls. Katherine wanted to keep him from going near Ezra's classroom but she couldn't without herself or Aria looking suspicious. They had heard the very end of Aria and Ezra's conversation but not enough where Noel would be able to figure out the whole story.

"What's going on here?" Noel asked, standing in the doorway with Katherine right behind him.

"Nothing." Aria said. "There is absolutely nothing going on here." She said, before storming out of the classroom and down the hall. Katherine pursed her lips and waited for Noel to walk away so she could talk to Ezra, well, yell at Ezra. But he never did.

"Is there something you would like to say to me?" Ezra said, the frustration showing in his face and tone. Noel finally walked away, following after Aria. But Katherine stayed exactly where she was. Ezra threw the book across the room like a child and Katherine stepped fully into the classroom, shutting the door behind her.

"Way to go, Mr. Fitz. A poem, really? She was finally moving on and being happy before you had to come along and hurt her all over again. Aria is one of my best friends and the last thing she needs is you getting in her way. Do you understand?" Katherine said, glaring at her English teacher. He kept quiet and stared at the wall. "I said, do you understand?" Katherine repeated herself, walking closer and shoving Ezra to ensure she had his attention.