☆ Turning 17

I opened my eyes and rolled to my side, it was already light out. 

Today was my 17th birthday. 

"There's the birthday girl!" my mom beamed as she saw me walking down the stairs. 

My mom, Beth Fairfield, had moved from London to New York with me when I was about 3. She left London behind because everything had reminded her of my dad, who had died when I was two years old. 

So here we are, 14 years later. We're like the Gilmore Girls, if you think about it. 

My thoughts were interrupted when 'Dancing Queen' by ABBA started blasting on the speaker, I smiled and shook my head. I walked over to my mum and hugged her. 

"17 already. Just felt like yesterday I saw you and Peter walking to preschool, you had those tiny little flowery shoes!" she said, her eyes glistening while she smiled proudly. 

That's another person we have to address. 

Peter Parker. My best friend since as long as I can remember. I still remember the day we met. Mrs. Parker had invited mum and I for dinner when we just moved, back when mum didn't know the first thing about America. When we were leaving dinner, Peter, the poor little boy tripped and fell on me when he was trying hug me. Since then, we've seen each other everyday, we grew up side by side. Every embarrassing phase I had,  every time I cried or laughed, Peter was always right next to me. His mum and mine were close, her death was hard on poor mum too. 

Mum clapped as I blew out the candle and cut the little cake she'd made, with little flowers frosted on top. I thanked her kissed her goodbye. 

"All right mum, I'm leaving, I'll be late. Don't forget, it's Gilmore Girls marathon night!" I shouted as I rushed to the door, still trying to put my shoes on. 

I stumbled down the last few stairs and tripped, luckily, a pair of arms caught me. 

"Every year." Peter fake sighed, and helped set me straight. 

"Shut up." I said smiling, as he hugged me. 

"Wait careful.. and, there!" he said opening a little box with a cupcake inside, a small candle on top. 

"Ugh, everyone's just all head over heels for me aren't they now?" I playfully rolled my eyes as I blew the candle out. 

"Now you're 17! Happy birthday Ms. Fairfield," Peter smiled against my cheek as he side-hugged me. 

"Thank you, Mr. Parker, you gonna keep walking that slow? Because I'm running now and i'm not going to wait for you." I said turning to him, then running without warning. 

He jogged a few steps before slowing down, I slowed down too, he eventually caught up. 

"I- hate--"

"-Running. Which why, I never ran, knowing you'd stop in 30 seconds. And ladies and gentlemen, that's why they call me the brightest of our generation." he shrugged and raised his eyebrows. 

We walked into the school building, still sometime to spare before our first class. I stopped and knelt to tie my shoelaces, while someone threw a basketball at Peter's head. 

I stood up and turned around furiously. 

"Good morning Flash" Peter smiled and nodded sarcastically. 

That idiot. 

I picked the ball angrily and threw it on his shaved head. Those anger issues, they really surprise me sometimes. 

I linked my arm in Peter's and dragged him away before my victim could say anything else. 

"Hey, it's uh- Peter, right?" a girl said, stopping us.