Raya and the viking

When I wake up, Easton is not with me anymore. I feel like leaving this place, this hospital, this room, this coma life. I try to sit up in my bed, and when I finally get it I'm out of breath. The door opens right there. Agnes walks in with my breakfast, and when she sees me sitting up she put the tray down and run to help me.

-You should have called me, she says while putting pillows behind my back to support me.

-Where's Easton?

-I don't know, she says. She left about an hour ago.

-Did she say if she's coming back?

-Sorry no, she didn't say anything.

Shit. Did I do something wrong? Was last night too much? Too fast? I can still feel her lips on mine. I hold my hand up to my lips, brushing the place where she kissed me to bring the memory back. I'd give anything right now to kiss her again.

-You're lucky, Agnes says. The first day you get breakfast you get the best one: pancakes!

-I'm not hungry.

-Oh, she says, disappointed. Well, you also have your first physiotherapy today.

-Physio? Why?

-I believe you still can't walk, right? You might need a little help to learn again.

I nod, but not really to agree, more to justify my lack of answer. She leaves and I'm left alone with that watery breakfast. I'm still playing with my pancakeswhen someone knocks on my door.

-Hi? I ask.

The door open and a small girl is facing me. She must be around four or five, but she's really really small, with chocolate brown skin and big brown eyes. Her hair is dark and long and looks like silk.

-Oh, Hello! I say waving.

She gives me a big smile.

-What's your name?

-Raya, she says in a small voice.

-That's a really pretty name, I say. How old are you?

She shows me five fingers.

-Wow! You're a big girl! I say and she smiles while nodding. What are you doing here, Raya?

-I'm sick too.

-You are? I ask while waving for her to come in the room.

She climbs on my bed and cross her legs. I realise she's wearing a pyjama with dancing elephants on it.

-There's a problem here, she says pointing her heart.

-I see, I say. I had a problem there (I point my head).

-You don't have it anymore?

-I don't know. No, I don't think so.

She smiles.

-Do you want to watch a movie? She asks me.

-Sure, I say.

She doesn't ask for permission, she take place next to me, grabs my remote and turn the TV on, flipping threw the TV channels. She finds one playing that new movie, Big Hero 6, and, satisfied with her own choice, she rest her head on my shoulder. I don't really watch the movie, just enough so that when she asks questions or make comments I can answer her. I look at her small face and big eyes, her Indian features and shiny hair, and I wonder, how can life be so cruel? Putting such a sweet little girl in here, when she should be in school learning, or playing outside. It's so unfair.

About 30 minutes later, Agnes comes to tell me the physio guy is ready to see me. She brought a wheelchair. I tell Raya she can stay in my room and wait for me if she wants too, and she does. Agnes helps me in the chair, then wheel me in the hallway. It's the first time I'm out of my room, and I kinda like it. The scents are different, and the people are different. But I don't get to see the hallway for long. We turn in a room filled with medical and training equipment. A really tall guy with a beard who looks like a hipster Viking looks at me with a huge smile.

-Hello Cade, he says, I'm Dustin.

-Hi.

-Let's start, ok?

I nod. Agnes leaves and he picks me up from my chair and puts me on the floor, on a yoga mat. He starts by asking me to move all the parts of my body that I can move, then try to sit up, then to pull on his arm, then to touch my toes, then to lift my legs. I can do most of the exercises that makes the top of the body works, but my legs are perfectly useless. Dustin is nice and strong and I feel safe with him, but I think he likes me a little too much. When I'm finally exhausted, he says it's over for today, that we're starting again tomorrow.

-How long till I can walk again? I ask.

-Depends, he answers, helping me back in the chair. Depends on the damages your legs have. I hear you had a motocross accident?

-Yes, made barrels with my bike, my legs got crushed under it, and then I spent almost four weeks in a coma.

-Badass! He says with a wink. I'm going to say around two weeks, maybe more, until you can put weight on them, but I think you're going to need crutches for a while.

-Crutches?

-Yeah, but the kind that you hold with your hands and that support your arms, not the one that supports you form under the shoulders. It's just going to help you walk.

-But I'm gonna be able to walk again, right?

-Definitely! He says with another wink.

He rolls me back to my room. But right before we get there, he asks:

-So, are you free this Friday? I'd like to take you on a date.

-How old are you? I ask, shocked.

-24, he says.

-Dude, I'm 17.

-I know, doesn't matter.

I stay silent a second. He rolls me up to my bed, where Raya is still sitting. She makes room for me.

-So, about this date? He asks me when I'm back in my bed.

-I have a girlfriend, sorry.

He seams surprised for a second, but then he winks and says:

-Anybody can change teams!

-Say that to yourself, I say and his smiles disappears.

He leaves with the chair, not looking back, and Raya and I watch the new movie she chooses, something with flying dragons, but I'm not watching. I'm thinking about Easton. Is she my girlfriend? Or not? Or just a friend? What am I to her? Why is she gone? Is she coming back? What did I do wrong? Why do I miss her so bad? Where is she now?

Easton, where are you? I miss you.