Chapter 11 - A Malfoy's Rival, A Father's Worry

Thank you for reading! I don't own any of Harry Potter! Please let me know if you enjoy! Updates every Saturday!
—————————————————————

"Gather 'round, everyone! Gather 'round!" Professor Gilderoy Lockhart called out with a bright smile that showcased his unbelievably straight, white teeth.

Harriet and the rest of the girls in the room watched in fascination as Professor Lockhart strutted down the center of the long dueling stage like a peacock with his elegant, silver cape draped behind him.

Severus, the other professors in the room, and most of the boys all scowled in disgust.

He had been more than annoyed by his co-worker and Severus anxiously waited for Professor Lockhart to call his name so that he could go up and blast him for talking to Lily, er, rather.....so that he could assist Professor Lockhart with his demonstration.

Draco noticed the way that Harriet stared at their teacher with wide eyes and her fascination twisted his pale face into a hideous sneer.

The foppish professor pranced in front of the crowd as he spoke, "Professor Dumbledore has given me permission to start this dueling club, as many of you are already aware. I must say though, I've been pleasantly surprised that our very own Professor Snape has agreed to assist me in a little show for you all today!"

Gasps rang out through the throngs of students as Professor Lockhart made a grand gesture to introduce Severus, who stepped up onto the dueling stage with his arms crossed and a frown on his face.

"Kind of you to assist me, Severus." Gilderoy nodded at his peer with a smile.

After he had found the other alpha talking to his mate, Gilderoy's use of his first name had Severus silently gnashing his teeth as he replied in a low drawl, ".........The pleasure is all mine......Professor Lockhart."

Everyone in the room watched Severus and Gilderoy very closely.

The two men looked at each other for a moment before Gilderoy brightened his smile and addressed the crowd again, "Alright! Professor Snape and I will face off, if you will! But don't worry! You'll still have your Potions Master when I'm through with him!"

Behind Gilderoy, Severus smirked.

"........Shall we?" Gilderoy asked after he turned to face his colleague.

When Severus nodded in silent agreement, a hush fell over the room as Gilderoy's smile fell away from his face.

The two professors pulled out their wands and slowly walked towards each other in a decided march.

They then whipped their wands out to their sides and bowed deeply to each other before they turned on their heels and paced towards the opposite sides of the dueling stage.

Professor Snape and Professor Lockhart turned to face each other as the students all held their breath.

Gilderoy held up his wand, but Severus was far too skilled.

Severus lifted his arm over his head in one smooth motion and cried out in a loud voice that enunciated each syllable carefully, "EX.....PELLIARMUS!"

Severus's casting of the disarming spell was impressively precise as he completed the task with another fluid swing of his arm.

Light burst forth from the tip of Professor Snape's wand and hurtled towards Professor Lockhart, who stared at the oncoming magic with wide eyes.

Gasps, squeals, and cheers rang out in the crowd as Severus's spell hit Gilderoy right in the chest and sent him flying backwards across the dueling stage to land in defeat right on his pompous rump.