Chapter 6

In honour of how much love this fix has gotten, I present to you, two chapters of Mateo reuniting with Bruno.

As we entered, an ominous figure was seen holding the piece of the vision that the rat took.

As the lighting struck, we were able to see him.

The shadows on his face gave him an evil look, making him look creepy, especially with his poncho's hood up.

He held the piece in his hand and looked to us with a freaky look, the rat on his shoulder snarling at us.

But as soon as that quick second of light faded, he was gone as quick as he appeared.

Mira looks at me with a scared, yet determined face and starts to run after him, her hands dragging across the rough insides of the walls.

"Hey! Mirabel!" I call, running after her. Although she ignores me, continuing on her chase as we see his green poncho turning around the corner.

"Hey!" She calls to him avoiding each of the planks as he skillfully swings onto them and starts running down them.

'How in shape is this guy', I think to myself as Mira hits the last plank, sliding down and continues to run after him.

I follow after them, out of breath and falling behind a bit as my chest starts to hurt.

We push through tiny cracks, through endless twists and turns and running on probably easily breakable wood. It's a miracle they've lasted this long.

"Stop! Stop!" Mirabel calls after him, trying to catch his poncho.

He falls behind, stopping ever so slightly and just as I thought we had him, he does this weird ass trick to successfully jumps over this giant hole in the floor.

Mira stops suddenly, making me hit her and nearly pushing her over as she watches him disappear around the corner.

My heavy breathing is heard throughout the space and my hand goes to my sore chest.

"Maybe this is, hopeless," I say breathlessly. Mira doesn't even look back at me.

"Not yet," She says and does the same trick the guy did and luckily made it, getting ready to continue running after him.

But of course when I try to do the trick, although I land it, the floorboards under me crack and I fall, gripping onto the one wooden pole that survived.

"Mirabel! Help me!" I call, my grip slipping down as the branch breaks more.

"Please. Anyone, help!" I hear footsteps but they seem to late as the branch breaks and I fall into the abyss.

At least I thought I was going to when I hand catches mine, holding me up. I look to see the man without his hood up, his black curly hair falling into his face as he grips my hand tight.

Papa.

"Mateo!" Mirabel's voice calls from above.

"You're very sweaty," Papa says.

The floor boards break beneth him and he falls in front of me, screaming, both of us doomed until I catch onto a branch that was there, holding both of us up.

He looks up to me with a smile and a freaking rat climbs from his poncho, onto his arm, scaring the absolute life out of me.

In regards I drop him, a harsh whisper of a 'no' coming from me as his screams fade into the fog below us.

Mira's head pops up from the side as she stands on safe ground. Papa's head popped up, a dumb expression on his face.

He looks down at the fog and fans it away with his poncho. And there he is, clearly standing on solid ground below.

"Huh. Why did I think there was nothing there," I say, dropping down beside him as well.

He helps me up again, showing me certain spots to step to get up safely, then doing the same thing himself as I help him up. Mirabel was waiting for us.

She goes and hugs me tightly, squeezing me. I pat her arm, telling her to let go as Papa just stands there, awkwardly.

He looks between the both of us and my arm that's wrapped around my chest.

"Bye," He says, walking off.

"What? No. Hold on," Mira calls and storming after him. I reluctantly follow. "Wait! Wait! Why did you take the vision," she asks, bumping into a wall.

"Knock knock knock knock knock. Knock on wood," Papa says, knocking on everything there and then crossing his fingers and holding his breath. Superstitious much.

"What does it mean? Is it why you came back or..." she continues to interrogate, "Tio Bruno?"

He lets go of his breath and knocks on the wood again, hitting his head this time as well. He can't be sane for being back here alone for ten years.

"You were never supposed to see that vision. No one was," He simply states. "Espeically not you and Mateo."

Mira tries to protest but gets cut off by Papa throwing salt over his shoulder. Then sugar.

I look to the patching done and turn back to Papa.

"Papa?" he hums, not even taking notice of the name, "have you been patching the cracks the entire time?"

He looks to the wall. "Oh no no no no. I'm too scared to go near those things. All the patching done by Hernando," he says, then flipping his hood up and going into a deeper voice.

"I'm Hernando and I'm scared of nothing," Mira looks to him like he's insane but I just chuckle quietly. He flips down his hood again.

"It's actually me. I used to say my real gift was 'acting'." Then I look away for one second and he has a bucket on his head.

"I'm Jorge. And I make the spackle," he says in another altered voice, holding up a putty knife.

"How long have you been back here?" Mira asks him.

"If I were to guess, the ten years he left me alone. With no biological parental figure," I look to him accusative.

He turns away guiltily, not meeting my hard eyes.