☆ Into the Flames ☆

Mulai dari awal

Eblis separated herself from the child, kissing her forehead decisively. "I must leave. But I will be back." Her skin stitched together, itching ever so slightly as it did. The priestesses stepped back, giving them room. Lilith's little wings fluttered.

"You should've seen Azriel!"

Eblis smiled. "What should I have seen?" she prompted.

"He was killing all the attors and bad guys left and right, and when one swooped me up he was right there before I could even scream!" she giggled, though Eblis froze.

"Are you okay?"

"She's fine," Azriel replied for the girl, "they healed her and are keeping a better eye on her."

Eblis sighed heavily, and said, "Oh thank the cauldron." She didn't want to think about how close she'd gotten to losing both of her children. Her heart ached at the thought, and she clasped Lilith to her chest before the girl could read the sorrow in her eyes. She wasn't sure she could tell her yet. Maybe after.

She pulled away, but before she could begin to leave, Elain gave her a quick hug. Another priestess, one with fiery red hair and golden eyes, the limpid stone on her brow shining, stopped her.

"Your muscles need healing, miss. It took a moment, but my magic is sensing a great many injuries beneath your skin."

Azriel's face darkened. "Anything internal?"

The priestess shook a hooded head, and said, "No. Just her muscles."

"Heal her."

Eblis offered her arms, not questioning the decisiveness with which Azriel had ordered them. She felt warmth fill her veins and surround her like a husk, and she couldn't help but to sigh with pleasure. The aching that had plagued her since Reneau's hold had snapped evaporated, and when the priestesses pulled away once more, she felt renewed and ready for battle.

She thanked them, and they bowed their heads silently before pulling away and being absorbed into the crowd. Finally, she faced Azriel. "I'll be going back to Hybern. I have unfinished business there."

"I know." The male looked at her through his dark brows, hazel eyes serious. "But you must collect your spies to help you. They will be invaluable in the aftermath."

Her lips pinched together, and she felt the gazes of all the priestesses avert and return back to what they were doing. Elain tugged Lilith away, whispering quietly to the female with a teasing smile that made the child grin. Eblis watched that for a few seconds before looking back to her mate. "Fine."

Azriel nodded. "What of the rest of the armies?"

"I'm afraid Reneau is personally holding them after the ones here switched sides. I will not be able to do anything for them until I kill him, and every other Loyal Daemati Guard the Queen controls."

"I'll come with you."

Eblis sucked in a breath. "No. You need to follow the armies and make sure they get where they are supposed to." Azriel's gaze hardened as if to argue. "I must do this alone, Az. Please."

A tense silence stretched between them, and he pulled her into his arms. They embraced, and she absorbed his warmth and strength as much as she could. "I'll winnow you at the very least," he said onto her head.

She nodded, though it just rubbed her face against his chest, the siphon there glittering brightly with power in front of her. She could agree with that, at least.

***

It seemed neither were good with saying bye.

As soon as she arrived, Azriel hugged her one last time, and then whipped into shadow. Her armor, hidden beneath a cloak they'd scrounged up in the Library from one of the priests, glinted slightly with her every step as she entered the town. She had not dared to go any closer to the castle for fear of being sensed.