☆ Into the Flames ☆

Start from the beginning

She began to walk, turning her back on her mate, and striding towards a staircase that was nothing more than a faint memory at the back of her mind. When she got there, she almost hesitantly reached forward to open it.

It swung open easily, until Azriel gripped the door and halted it. Eblis hadn't even realized he was so close behind. "You're going to go alone." She started to argue. "I can tell, Eblis, don't hide it. It's what I would do too."

"Then you understand, right?"

Their steps echoed through the staircase, faelights flipping on smoothly. Azriel's wings filled the tiny quarters, casting shadows everywhere as he shifted them higher above the steps. Their points towered over his head when she glanced back to gauge his facial expression, but she was met with a wall of ice. She bit the inside of her cheek, a silence falling while they drifted further below the mountain.

Before the bottom step, there was a swirl of white, and they were greeted by a priestess, one with a gently wrinkled face, and a limpid blue stone on her forehead. The fae gestured with hands whose fingers bent at horribly wrong angles, not a word leaving their mouth.

"What happened to Lemestine?" she whispered, as if under a spell of the Library.

"She was last noted in the Day Court, working in the High Lord's vast libraries. Clotho has been the head priest ever since she left," Azriel replied with equal quiet. Eblis nodded, attempting to smile kindly at the Priestess, knowing the reason why any female or male stepped down there was not so good. Pale eyes stared back at her, looking through her, as if sensing the turmoil in her chest.

Clotho's face saddened, and she patted a gnarled hand on Eblis's shoulder in what she could only describe a matronly way. Eblis's face tightened.

Azriel placed a hand on her lower back, and said in a soft tone, "Take us to Elain and Lilith, please, Priestess." His voice was gentle.

"They're down here?" she asked, and the male nodded. "I don't know if I want to see Lilith right now. I just want to recoup and leave." If her bluntness startled Clotho, the priestess did not show it. Her long white robes only hissed silently along stone as they were led deeper into the library. The scent of leather and old paper surrounded her.

Azriel hesitated. "Lilith has missed you, Eblis."

"She was mad at me when I left her. Now, I've made promises I could not keep." I'll protect you with my life, her voice reminded her. I'll give you the childhood you deserved, Lilith and Madalyn. "Very big promises. I don't think I can face her."

"At least assure her you have not left her alone again."

Again.

She almost winced, and gave in. She could do that much for the child.

Azriel's wings cast vast shadows in front of them, but it was not long until the sound of singing reached their ears, and they entered a side chamber. Eblis's legs were attacked by a small form, and Elain rose to a stand so quickly her chair might've fallen backwards if a Priestess hadn't caught it just in time. A ringing silence echoed through the room.

Lilith cried out, joyously and yet nervous, "Mom!"

Her heart skipped a beat, stuttered, and kicked back into starting. She knelt, eyes burning. My Madalyn. I won't ever hear you say that again, will I?

Eblis and Lilith embraced, both crying suddenly as Azriel stood over them with a soft smile on his face. Elain took a step forward, her face also soft with the tenderness of their hug. Without much ado, two priestesses stepped forward and began to heal their wounds, light shining around their hands and onto their skin. The room was awash with healing magic, bright and fluffy like clouds.