xxii

☀️ ☀️ ☀️ 

The plan went wrong almost immediately. Honestly, Aurora wasn't sure what else she had expected. She'd been at this for far too long not to know that improv was 95 percent of being a demigod. Piper scrambled along the ridge, trying to keep her head down, while Aurora, Leo, Jason, and Coach Hedge walked straight into the clearing.

Once they left their hiding spot, Jason had let go of Aurora's hand and she immediately missed the warmth and comfort it had brought her. Jason summoned his golden lance. He brandished it over his head and yelled, "Giant!"

Aurora was impressed, it sounded pretty good. He was confident- more than Aurora anyway. If Percy was on this quest Aurora was sure he would have said something along the lines of: "Hey, clay face!" or, "You there! Yeah, you! The tall one!"

Enceladus stopped chanting at the flames. He turned toward them and grinned, revealing fangs like a saber-toothed tiger's.

"Well," the giant rumbled. "What a nice surprise."

Aurora didn't like the sound of that, her hand fidgeted with the knife clipped to her waist.

Coach Hedge shouted, "Let the movie star go, you big ugly cupcake! Or I'm gonna plant my hoof right up your-"

"Coach," Jason said. "Shut up."

Enceladus roared with laughter. "I've forgotten how funny satyrs are. When we rule the world, I think I'll keep your kind around. You can entertain me while I ear all the other mortals."

"Is that a compliment?" Hedge frowned. "I don't think that was a compliment."

Enceladus opened his mouth wide, and his teeth began to glow.

"Scatter!" Leo yelled.

Jason, Aurora, and Hedge dove to the left as the giant blew fire- a furnace blast so hot even Festus would've been jealous. Aurora rolled and summoned her bow, aiming an arrow at the giant. She could feel a comforting warmth from beneath her father's band-aid. The arrow flew through the air and hit the giant in the neck. Aurora smiled to herself even though it had no effect.

"Thanks, Dad," she murmured.

Jason charged the giant as Aurora rained arrows on him. Coach Hedge ripped off his canary yellow jacket, which was now on fire, and bleated angrily. "I liked that outfit!" Then he raised his club and charged too.

Before they could get very far, Enceladus slammed his spear against the ground, and the entire mountain shook. Aurora was knocked to the ground and stumbled back to her feet as Jason charged the giant again. Coach Hedge was knocked out cold. He'd fallen forward and hit his head on a log. His furry hindquarters were sticking straight up, with his canary yellow pants around his knees- a view Aurora really didn't need.

The giant bellowed, "I see you, Piper McLean!" He turned and blew fire at the line of bushes. Piper ran into the clearing like a flushed quail, the underbrush burning behind her.

Enceladus laughed. "I'm happy you've arrived. And you brought me my prizes!"

Aurora's gut twisted. This was the moment Piper had warned them about. They'd played right into Enceladus's hands. 

Enceladus looked at Leo and laughed even louder. "That's right, son of Hephestus. I didn't expect you to stay alive this long, but it doesn't matter. By bringing you here, Piper McLean has sealed the deal. If she betrays you, I'm as good as my word. She can have her father. What do I care about a movie star?"