xxiii

☀️ ☀️ ☀️

"No!" Aurora cried. 

Time seemed to slow down as Enceladus's spear got closer to Jason's chest and there was nothing Aurora could do but watch in horror.

Then Leo's voice reached her ears. "Heads up!"

A large black metal wedge slammed into Enceladus with a massive thunk! The giant toppled over and slid into the pit.

Aurora's legs were moving before she could process what had happened. She ran as fast as she could, her eyes glued to Jason's figure by the rim of the crater. She called out his name and he immediately sat up, slightly dazed while Aurora grabbed him under his arms and hauled him to his feet.

"Never do that again," she ordered. "You're not allowed to die on me."

"Yes, ma'am." Jason gave her a mock salute and a tired smile. Despite the ongoing battle, she seemed to have a glowing aura around her. Determination shone in her eyes like blue fire and Jason marveled in the light. He thought she looked stunning.

About a hundred feet behind them, Leo was standing over a piece of construction equipment- a long cannon-like thing with a single massive piston, the edge broken clean off.

Then Aurora looked down in the crater and saw where the other end of the hydraulic ax had gone. Enceladus was struggling to rise, an ax blade the size of a washing machine stuck in his breastplate.

Amazingly, the giant managed to pull the ax blade free. He yelled in pain and the mountain trembled. Golden ichor soaked the front of his armor, but Enceladus stood.

Shakily, he bent down and retrieved his spear.

"Good try." The giant winced. "But I cannot be beaten."

As they watched, the giant's armor mended itself, and the ichor stopped flowing. Even the cuts on his dragon-scale legs, which Jason worked so hard to make, were just pale scars.

Leo ran up to them, saw the giant, and cursed. "What is with this guy? Die, already!"

"My fate is preordained," Enceladus said. "Giants cannot be killed by gods or heroes."

"Only by both," Jason said. The giant's smile faltered. "It's true, isn't it? Gods and demigods have to work together to kill you."

"You will not live long enough to try!" The giant started stumbling up the crater's slope, slipping on the glassy sides.

"Anyone have a god handy?" Leo asked.

"Never do," Aurora muttered.

Jason watched the giant stumble towards them. "Leo, if you've got a rope in that tool belt, get it ready."

Then he leaped at the giant with no weapon but his bare hands. Aurora thought she would have been used to such impulsive behavior after so many years at Camp Half-Blood, but her mouth fell open with a mixture of shock and offense as she watched Jason charge headfirst into an impossible battle.

"Enceladus!" Piper yelled. "Look behind you!"

It was an obvious trick, but her voice was so compelling that Aurora almost spun around. The giant said, "What?" and turned like there was an enormous spider on his back.

Jason tackled his legs at just the right moment. The giant lost his balance. Enceladus slammed into the crater and slid to the bottom. While he tried to rise, Jason put his arms around the giant's neck. When Enceladus struggled to his feet, Jason was riding his shoulders.

"Get off!" Enceladus screamed. He tried to grab Jason's legs, but Jason scrabbled around, squirming and climbing over the giant's hair.

Jason stood still for a moment and suddenly Aurora could smell the metallic scent of a storm. A chill ran down her spine as darkness swallowed the sun. The giant froze sensing it too.