vi

☀️☀️☀️

Chiron soon dismissed everyone back to their cabins. Piper looked like she was being kidnapped as she was led away to the Aphrodite cabin. Aurora led the clump of Apollo campers until a nudge from one of her brothers caused her to look over her shoulder and see Jason coming toward them.

"You guys go ahead," she told them. "I'll catch up."

Several ooohs rang out and one round of dramatic fake gagging. Aurora rolled her eyes, shooing them off toward their cabin.

"When you said you were in the Apollo cabin," Jason said as he reached her side. "I didn't realize you meant that you're in charge."

Aurora laughed. "Yeah, I'm kind of a big deal around here."

"I bet."

A moment of silence passed between them as Jason smiled at Aurora until she raised her eyebrows expectantly, waiting for him to speak. He cleared his throat, nervously glancing at the ground before looking at her again.

"I just wanted to say thanks for agreeing to come on the quest."

"Oh, yeah," Aurora shook her head. "I mean, I've been on a few and I'd hate for Kayla to miss the canoe race in a few days."

"We can't have that," Jason chuckled.

"I'm glad we have an understanding." Aurora nodded with a smile. "Well, I should get packing. I don't know if you know this but I'm going on a trip tomorrow. That and we're being spied on right now."

Jason glanced over her shoulder at the golden walls of the Apollo cabin in time to see several heads duck out of sight in the windows.

Aurora laughed and shouted across the clearing, "Subtlety is an art you will never master!"

Jason was surprised by how easily her voice carried through the space. It was like the wind swooped down to perfectly guide the sound where she wanted. Her laugh was just as melodic, a song that was sure to get stuck in his head. 

She was still laughing when she turned back to Jason. "See you in the morning?"

"Yeah, see you then."

"Great." With a smile, Aurora turned and continued her walk to the Apollo cabin. Behind the golden door, she could hear shuffling and whispering. Once she entered, her siblings were spread around the room, acting natural as they straightened their blankets or flipped through sheet music.

"So, Rory, how's your new boyfriend?" Austin sang as she walked into the cabin.

Aurora ignored him, turning to Will. "Will, how do you expect to sleep well on that pillow? It's not fluffed properly. Here, like this." She took the pillow from his bed and hit Austin over the head. 

"Ah, quit it!" Austin cried, trying to shield himself with his arms. "Someone contain her!"

Will shrugged. "Hey, man, you made fun of her boyfriend."

Almost immediately, he was knocked backward- hit square in the face with the pillow. Aurora turned to the rest of her siblings, brandishing the pillow like a lethal weapon.

"Anyone else?"

The Apollo cabin was rarely silent, but for a few moments, it was while the remaining members held their hands up in surrender or mimed zipping their lips shut. 

"Wonderful."

"Can I have my pillow back now?" Will held his hand out expectantly. "Or are you going to practice kissing on it?"