Chapter 49: Wake Me Up When September Ends

Start from the beginning

A silence followed, which was filled only by some rattling of equipment and pieces of technology. 

''Just because she's the one struggling, doesn't mean you can't either. You don't have to pretend to be fine. I know you better than that, and Maya knows you better than that.'' He spoke very distracted, obviously multitasking. But the metal ladder he brought, creaked under his movement as he stepped down, and Maya could picture him throwing her mom a comforting look. ''Kat's tough, she's a fighter, she'll make it through. She's in good hands, you gotta trust her and have some faith in it.''

Natasha had crossed her arms over her chest, trying to act unbothered. ''I do trust her. Like I said, we're doing fine.''

''Okay. Alright.'' He gave up. Natasha was too stubborn, and the last thing he wanted was to fight. She was hurting and trying to cope, this being the way she chose how to, so he left it alone. She'd know where to find him if she wanted to talk. ''Kitchen's done.''

Maya's head shot up when footsteps grew louder. As quiet as possible, she spun around and ran up the stairs, taking them two at a time. And just in time, because they followed her up the stairs. 

She dove on her bed, pulling a book on her crossed legs and continuing to flip through it slowly, right before a knock sounded on her door. 

''Come in.'' Maya looked up when he walked into her bedroom, some devices and equipment in his hands to install FRIDAY in here as well. ''Hi Uncle Tony.'' She smiled, happy to see him again. He had visited once, a couple months ago. It was a real shame the barbecue got cancelled, because she loved meeting her moms' friends, especially because the heroes rarely got together. And Tony was one of her favorites, especially his humor.

''Ah, little Red, we meet again.'' He mumbled distracted but cheerful, looking at the ceiling to find the best places for his equipment. ''You'll be able to blast Blondie through the entire house, starting tonight.''

Surprised, she raised an eyebrow, her interest piqued as a knowing smile played on her lips. ''Blondie?''

''What? A fifty-something-year-old man can't be a Swiftie?'' He feigned offence, but he smiled as he dragged her desk chair to the corner of the room and stepped on it - rude. Maya chuckled at his theatrics. ''What'd you got there?'' He nodded to the book in her hands.

As if she had forgotten what she was holding, she looked down at it. ''A photo album. They made this for my birthday.''

Her tone had his hands stopping their work by the ceiling, and he looked over his shoulder to see the sad look on her face. ''I'm sorry kid, it's not easy when you have to miss a parent for long periods of time.'' 

''That sounds like you know how it is.''

He fumbled with the technology in his hands like it was the most interesting thing in the world. Natasha wasn't the only one who had trouble opening up. ''Yes, well, my dad was a businessman. Always gone from home. I know that's not the same, and I thought he didn't like me as much as your mom likes you, but the missing is still the same.'' He dared to glance at her, the kid who looked so much like his friend downstairs, despite not sharing DNA. ''Nat acts like everything is fine? My mom did that too.''

''I'm sorry that happened to you.'' She hadn't known about this, but the more she got to know these heroes, the more she realized how human they were, with their pain and family secrets.

''Nah, it's okay. I got to see my dad again in some weird, Back to the Future type way, and it changed a lot.'' He shrugged it off, smiling at the memory of that moment. But Maya frowned at his pop culture reference. ''It's an old movie where they go back in time,'' he explained, chuckling when he realized how that sounded. ''Man, I sound like Parker.''